shed hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kentuckyoutdoorsman, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    im going down to otter creek in meade county this weekend to do a little scouting nd was wondering were the best place to look for sheds would be.

2. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I would look on the ground. :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.... Follow trails, bedding areas are good bets, especially where it's thick...

3. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I've walked my farm four times so far with about 12 hours total walking and haven't found anything. But I am in a Zone 4 and the most bucks I got on trailcams on a daily basis is two fours, two eights and two ten pointers on 146 acres.

4. BP1992

BP1992 Banned

Dec 31, 2010
    x2 for on the ground

5. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I would say that any bucks that were still carrying their racks as of this morning have shed now, the storms had to blow them right off their heads.

6. doubleJ

doubleJ 6 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Boyle Co.
    Went last wekend and found nothing. This week I've seen a 6 and a 8 pointer still carrying.

7. whackem'n'stackem'

whackem'n'stackem' 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2009
    Reconyx photos as of Feb 28th revealed bucks still with antlers.

8. Went today for three hours and after being shutout the last 3 times out since we found our first one me and my boy found a nice one. I did however check my cam and had a 6 point still carrying fri night.

9. nthewild

nthewild 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2007
    went yesterday, saw 4 bucks still packin'.

10. vernon h

vernon h Fawn

Mar 4, 2012
    Went two days ago , didnt find anything but found a nice matching 8 set ten days ago . Lying right together at the edge of a food plot in Estill co.

11. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    went Saturday and walked for 5 hours strait and couldn't find one:mad: but i did find a really big deer tract right next to the parking lot about three time the size of the rest:eek:. i will definitively be going to do some hunting down there this year.

12. AaronLaw777

AaronLaw777 Fawn

Mar 6, 2012
    things that make the bucks land with impact such as logs fences or creek crossings.

13. 194 3/8

194 3/8 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2009
    West, KY
    Anybody having luck yet. I plan on going out this weekend in west KY.

14. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

I have not been in the last week or so but before that we were doing pretty good. Found about a dozen in our foodplots (the most ever in our plots) since the first of Feb. However, I did see a small 8 pt. still packing both sides on Monday. I would like to try and get back out soon, if you wait much longer the ticks and brairs are going to take away the enjoyment. Already had a few ticks from a short trip through some planted pines a week ago.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  15. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

I went to OCP yesterday. I walked a couple hours & seen / found nothing. I was on the shooting range side that borders FT Knox. I was really disappointed because I didn't even see a lot of sign. No rubs. Caution to anyone going. It very steep on that side! Lol