Seting up on a mature buck group question.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Iceman35, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Here's the situation. I've got a tree stand in a huge cedar tree at the base of a small ridge point. The point runs North/South, with the base and tree at the north end. It overlooks a small clearing to the SW and west, with a trail clear cut running down its length to the south. Brush on both east and west sides of the point to the bottoms below. The clearing acts as a sort of staging area for both does and bucks before they enter the larger field to the north at dusk and dark.

The last two years, I've had mature bucks show up the first week of October, and start using this area. Another one has started to show somewhat frequently again this October. When the bucks come in during daylight, it is almost certainly up the hill from the south, and with a northerly wind in their face. Yesterday I hung a scrape dripper from a wild pear tree 15 yards from my stand tree in hopes of luring them out in daylight.

Question is, do I put a 1 man blind at the base of the cedar tree, and hunt it with a northerly wind, HOPING the blind will contain my scent well enough to fool the buck, or only hunt it with a southerly wind in my favor, hoping the rut will lure them out eventually?

I'm honestly torn which way to play it, so asking every ones opinion.

teach27 and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    If the wind isn’t right I wouldn’t hunt it personally. I don’t think a blind will contain your scent enough.

3. kyhunter110

kyhunter110 8 pointer

Apr 6, 2006
    Lexington
    I feel like a blind does contain your scent to a degree. I’ve started hunting almost exclusively out of blinds except for during the rut. I almost never pay attention to wind direction anymore and I don’t think I’ve been busted once out of a blind. I started using blinds in 2017 and haven’t gone back, except for during the rut. You never know where a buck may present you a shot during the rut and a tree stand gives you way more shot options.

I may add that when I hunt blinds I only open the one window I will shoot out of. Everything else stays closed and wear black. Can’t see anything from the outside looking in.

ojibwa62 and elkaholic like this.
  4. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I wouldn't take a chance if the wind isn't right. Unless you buy an Ozonics and a Hecs suit. LOL

5. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    Can you move the stand enough to the east or west so that a north wind doesn’t blow your scent right to their trail?

Or set up closer to the top of the ridge instead of at the bottom?

6. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I agree with Wildman. A popup blind will help but not control your scent. Plus you will have to enter and exit which could spook him if he's down wind but out of sight.
    A closed blind would be the only way you could do it.

7. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Study the thermals. On cold frosty morning when thermals are rising you will be able to get away with more as far as wind. You still have to be very cautious of your clothes, boots, etc. And around 9 you will likely have to come out. That is generally the time I lose the thermal advantage.

8. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    No one ever truly fools a deer nose. I would spray down with some scent control and
    hunt the cedar stand. Placing a popup blind in the area may really spook them.
    Camo up good and blend in that cedar,its odor will also help keep him from smelling you.
    Get after him.

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I’m already at the top of the ridge. It’s a finger ridge that runs south, down hill, and there’s brush on both of its sides so thick you can’t stand up in it. IF I knew what specific route he’s taking walking up the hill, then I might be able to relocate the stand maybe. But there are a dozen or more trails that come out along a 200 yard stretch. I’m almost positive he comes along the east side of the ridge somewhere, because the cam points north, and he always enters from the right/east but that’s all honeysuckle and autumn olive, no viable trees. Plus any northern wind funnels my scent straight down that side. It’s also quite possible he’s bedding along the east side of that ridge.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    i'd do my best to play the wind.
    do a test to find out how wrong you are. pour some skunk scent on the ground inside your blind, get outside and check out the scent in the air.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Block some of the trails to increase your odds.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I wouldn’t risk a hunt with wrong wind. Just my .02

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I think I’m just going to play it safe and hunt with the wind in my favor, and hope he comes in one evening to check out the mock scrape I made yesterday, or the rut and some does bring him in. Just don’t see any other feasible way of getting a shot. I also think he’s probably just 3.5, but I’ll shoot him given the chance. Maybe his relitive youth will be his undoing. The one I was after last year did screw up on 2 occasions, and came in with the wind at his back, or quartering, I just wasn’t in the stand.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

mykizha and 1wildcatfan like this.
  14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Reading this in a blind , trying hard to visualize the scenario.. drawing a blank..

Gonna have to draw it on a piece on paper..

I'll get back to you.. lol

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  15. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    If I'm reading this right, I would think you would be ok hunting any wind other than out of the north. That leaves about 180 degrees open for you to hunt, provided the wind doesn't swirl or barrel roll in that area with some of the east, west or southerly winds. Heck, if you can rule out one side of that ridge as one the deer don't/can't travel, maybe you could hunt a northerly cross wind as the best option?