Senate Joint Resolution 67

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by llewellin1, Jan 31, 2014.

1. elkguy

elkguy 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    Go to the Kentucky HSUS Facebook page and look at the profile pic. I wonder if the people in that photo have any idea they are the profile pic of HSUS? If it is the people I think it is, I know for a fact that the man sitting at the table hunts quail. It is a low resolution photo and is hard to see.

2. elkguy

elkguy 10 pointer

Oct 4, 2004
    Irony:
    I found the letter below on the KY HSUS web page. 99% of what they have on there is about dogs, cats, and farm animals. I scrolled way down in their time line and found the letter below.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kentucky: Don’t Hound Bears

Dear Friend,
    Kentucky currently prohibits bear "hounding," an inhumane and unsporting practice where trophy hunters use packs of radio-collared dogs to chase down bears before the hunter shoots the terrified animal off a tree branch at point-blank range. But that could soon change. The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Commission is considering a proposal to allow hound hunting of bears and may even allow bears to be chased in late summer when mothers could easily become separated from their dependent cubs.

Please make a brief, polite phone call to Governor Steve Beshear at (502) 564-2611 and say that you oppose starting the reckless, inhumane, and unsporting practice of bear hounding, a proposal currently being debated by the Fish and Wildlife Commission. And don't forget to send a follow-up message to the Commission as well so they know that an overwhelming number of residents oppose this proposal.

Thank you for all you do for animals.
    Wayne Pacelle
    Wayne Pacelle, President & CEO, HSUS

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. fcfishking

fcfishking 8 pointer

Apr 11, 2010
    Fairdale, KY
    Read the HSUS lady's comments....she consistently says "Doug", not Mr. Morgan.....she had posts on the KHA page but they have now been removed in which she thanked Doug for working with them.....she apparently knows him quite well to make comments about his relationship with Angel, Bevins, and Fryman, etc. This is more than "piggybacking" as it is quite obvious that they have been in contact and working together on this Resolution. I wish I had copied her post on KHA Facebook page. Remember that Mr. Morgan has started this new coalition with Tom Bennett, who is no friend of the sportsmen.

4. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    Here is one I copied from the KHA page before it was "Cleaned up" I think the last sentence says it all

5. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Everything I posted up yesterday got scrubbed. Some of the responses on another page vanished. None of this passes the smell test.

6. dug1976

dug1976 6 pointer

May 19, 2005
    richmond, ky
    Just emailed my State Senator. Jared Carpenter, he is an avid outdoorsman. I asked him to oppose this bill, on the basis of why should HSUS have a voice in KFWD decisions, when only Sportsman dollars fund this department. They(HSUS) have a radical agenda to stop a way life that we all enjoy and want to pass on to our children. HSUS will not stop at only hunting, they also believe fishing is cruel. Please contact your senators and stop this bill.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Can someone explain how this resolution is supposed to work? As it is now, can't anyone who has a boat, hunting license, or fishing license already nominate commissioners? So for $20, can't anyone already be part of the process?

8. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    What I would like to know is there ANYONE ON HERE THIS SITE that is a member of these groups she spoke of supporting this?
    There is one on here advertising Elk Hunt Draw tickets to the Houndsmen group cant he speak up?
    If so then PLEASE SPEAK UP POST UP what the hell is going on here.
    Did those groups support them or not.Someone on this site knows something.

9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources,[1] an agency of the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, is responsible for the conservation of fish and wildlife resources and for boating projects in the state. A commissioner appointed by the Fish and Wildlife Commission heads the department. The commission, which is responsible for department policy, is a nine member bipartisan body appointed by the governor from a list of candidates voted upon by sportsmen's organizations in each of nine districts.Kentucky Fish and Wildlife is directed from a Commissioner, but overseen by nine District Commissioners. Five candidates for District Commissioner are nominated by local hunters and anglers in their districts. These forty-five candidates (five from each district) are then chosen by the Governor of Kentucky to represent their district. This system was created by Kentucky sportsmen to ensure that both managerial and financial control of the state's wildlife resources stayed out of political control.

10. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

The way I read it, this would expand to representation to everyone. Any organized group that wants to ride ATV's on WMA's, horse riders, even HSUS would have a seat alongside the commissioners.

11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    sent a email to the KHA last night expressing my concerns about them and the HSUS, and if the "rumors" had any validity i asked for my elk ticket donation to be refunded. KHA secretary, Shawn Johnson, called me this morning and assured me that in no way, shape or form is the KHA aligning themselves with the HSUS. he said the HSUS is the houndsmen worse enemy. Doug Morgan will be posting a clarification on their website soon to clear up any misleading info that the HSUS is putting out there. HR 67 was slowed down to ensure the verbage clairfied what outdoors groups could be represented, and the HSUS is not one of those groups.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  12. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    That is good news, but it also gives me pause to see how those within HSUS can go on record by stating these groups are with them in support.

13. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I don't know Shawn Johnson and will not impugn bad motives to him, but it's crystal clear that this bill was EXACTLY what the kind of bill that the HSUS would support.

Here's what SJR 67 says verbatim:

WHEREAS, Kentucky has a diversity of different types of outdoor enthusiasts—hunters, anglers, boaters, bird watchers, horseback riders, and hikers—all of which enjoy the unique resources that Kentucky has to offer; and
    . . . .
    WHEREAS, The nine-member Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources Commission and the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources as represented by its appointed administrative Commissioner shall afford, without any bias or preference, all interested parties the ability to participate in and express opinions, make suggestions, and give evidence and testimony on any policy or any status of wildlife or wildlife resources of the Commonwealth of Kentucky."

I'm sure the proponents didn't recognize the unintended consequences (i.e. getting in bed with HSUS), but they should simply apologize and withdraw this bill. Write it off as a well-intentioned but colossal mistake.

I mean, how could you really not see the import? Every animal rights group is fully capable of honestly saying that they are outdoors enthusiasts that enjoy wildlife. When you have a commission that meets 4 times a year, how much of the commission's time will now be spent catering to the HSUS or Mrs. Beshear's horseback lobbyists that will hold the commission hostage until they agree to split hunting access on WMA's with horseback riders (which the bill explicitly intends to include both directly "horseback riders" and indirectly, i.e. "recreational enthusiasts" and "interested parties")?

I have no idea what the agenda or motivation is here, but I venture to say that the agenda will NOT be compatible with the interests of hunters. My guess is that Mr. Morgan was asked to float this particular resolution by somebody (maybe Beshear or his wife) that didn't fully understand the ramifications.

Don't forget that Ms. Styles mentioned "working" directly with Dr. Angel (whom Beshear is trying to re-appoint back on the Commission) and the Houndsmen on this resolution.

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    FOUND THIS OVER ON THE KY HOUNDSMEN PAGE.

President's Page

Message from Doug Morgan;
    President of the Kentucky Houndsmen Association,

The Kentucky Houndsmen Association is the only organization that represents dog owners exclusively. We understand the relationship between owners and their dogs. By networking with our members and other organizations we have an understanding of the common interest of dog owners. That relationship gives us the unique ability to speak and battle for our members. It allows us to take on controversial issues with groups like (H.S.U.S.) the Humane Society of the United States or the Animal Welfare Alliance without creating unforeseen disputes that can become problematic like other groups have done in the past.

As your President I assure you that I will not hesitate to take on any and all issues or groups that are detrimental to our members or organization.

We all must keep a constant vigil to preserve and maintain our rights as sportsmen and dog owners under the Constitution.

I give you this charge. Tell your friends, neighbors, and hunting buddies to do the right thing. Join the Kentucky Houndsmen and the Houndsmen will do right by them.