Selective or controlled burning

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
I’ve heard biologists say burning is one of the best habitat improvement tools for turkeys out there. I know the national forest service does some selective burning in the national forests but to my knowledge, I’m not aware of kdfwr doing any burns on wma’s in central or eastern ky. Is kdfwr burning on any wma’s?? I think some of the ones I hunt would greatly benefit from regular burns. Thoughts?

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I’ve heard biologists say burning is one of the best habitat improvement tools for turkeys out there. I know the national forest service does some selective burning in the national forests but to my knowledge, I’m not aware of kdfwr doing any burns on wma’s in central or eastern ky. Is kdfwr burning on any wma’s?? I think some of the ones I hunt would greatly benefit from regular burns. Thoughts?
They've burnt the hell out of Taylorsville, back Briar Ridge Rd. Ruint one of my best crow hunting holes

Oldrook

6 pointer
Jul 19, 2020
Soky
Pretty sure the do. They usually burn a bunch at Green River WMA’s. I know I’ve seen them doing it on Ky Afield tv show also

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I've seen em bout every 3 years over in Grayson Lake WMA doing some controlled burning. If ya do it you want to do it in late winter Jan-early March

Greyghost7

Fawn
May 2, 2022
Texas
If you're not seeing them burn in your areas or on WMA you know of. Contact the biologist on those WMA to inquire

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I think burning is good for food and underbrush clearing but in our area the turkeys have no cover due to farmers waging war with the fence rows and trees. The woods are few and far between.

Latest posts