Seeing a lot of squirrels this year

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by KYBOY, Jun 24, 2021.

1. captfire

captfire 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2015
    hope i get to go. had open heart sergry about 3 weeks ago. guess i can allways thak a .22 lol

rockhousehunter likes this.
  2. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    We're seeing the opposite here. We were run over with them last year but not seeing hardly any so far this year. Our nuts are way down here this year too. We love to squack hunt too.

3. BELLY UP!!!

BELLY UP!!! 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2009
    lawrenceburg, ky
    Was planning on taking my 4 year old daughter for her first hunt in the morning. But I think her momma is so excited about her going. That now it's a family trip with momma and the 2 month old baby boy too! Lot of cutting on the farm. Hope for just 1 bushy tail to make it a great day!

barney, dirtstalker and Carl like this.
  4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Full Moon on this opening Squirrel Season Date. They will be cutting and active early in the morning.

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    They were cutting slick and scaley bark. Seems a bit early on the scaley barks

6. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    I don't think I've seen a single gray squirrel on my place this year but the fox squirrels are thick as hair. Usually it's the other way around. I know the foxes are bigger but the grays are much better eating IMO.
    We have a very good mast of hickorys and acorns but for some reason they're obsessed with cutting very green walnuts. Weird year...in about every possible way.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  7. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've gone Squirrel Hunting two time now and haven't seen one Squirrel. Don't know if it's due to the Hot & Humid weather or if the recent full moon. Usually, this early on in the season, I see around at least 15 Squirrels on opening morning, but not this year. Seem like the past five years I've been seeing less & less Squirrels. During this past Spring/Summer I saw several Squirrels, Mast Trees loaded with nuts, and thought this year would be different than the last five but it hasn't so far. To be frank, I saw more Squirrels in my old Squirrel Hunting spots in Southern Indiana, thought Kentucky would have as many but it sure doesn't seem that the case. Hope everyone hunting are seeing more Squirrels than I am.

KY_Fried likes this.