Second Lottery

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Chimpy, May 13, 2016.

1. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    So my youth hunter drew a cow tag on his first attempt (of course.) In the paperwork it says he can either hunt at-large or put in for another lottery for specific zones. Does anybody have any experience with this? I know there will be a lot of questions like mine, but I honestly never thought anyone I knew would get drawn, so I never paid attention to how this all works. I don't want to pay a guide just for him to shoot a cow. So any guidance would be appreciated. Feel free to pm me. Thank you.

2. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    I was in the same boat with a bull archery tag and this is what I came up with. The at large area has more access and areas, but also anyone with a tag can go. The LAE's only give out so many tags to limit the harvest there, but the area is smaller and you still don't have access to the parts that are private and leased by the big outfitters. I think your best option is to pick up the phone, ask friends and contact outfitters and start narrowing down an area you might be comfortable with. A DIY hunt you gotta just put in the groundwork and scout and I think you'd have a good shot at a cow. There is elk in all the available areas, but access is going to be the key. Good luck.

3. kbmcalister

kbmcalister Fawn

Dec 14, 2015
    I got a cow archery tag last year on my first try. Fortunately successful. My advice is from minimal experience but I'll give it. I did not apply for an LEA because u are required to hunt only that area and with as little as I knew I didn't want to be bound to JUST that area. My success from posting a Craigslist add asking if anyone with land, experience or wanting to participate on a hunt. I lucked out an had several offers from new outfitters offering much lower prices to my family has land if I can share the meet to the guy I selected that I have nicknamed the elk whisperer. He was like an elk fortune teller. Always knew where they were headed. They may be offering the private land voucher program again that offers as good or better opportunity than the LEA's. We also had a lot of success nocking on doors near the original release sites asking permission to hunt and more were willing than not. I learned a lot in s season, daunting task I know. Fortunately my hunting partner drew a tag this year, I had one of the private land vouchers last year and we met a man that had a cabin to rent bordering out voucher area that gave us great access to the over 3000 acres we had access to and he has already agreed to let us hunt this same area again. I'm more than filling to share any additional info I gained if u wish. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Thank you for the responses. I don't even know what the private land voucher program is. All I know is my little hunter is incredibly excited about this hunt, and I need to make it a good experience for him. We would definitely be willing to share the majority of the meat with someone. My time is limited, so I'm hoping to make a quick hit (but who isn't of course.) December 10th -16th are the hunt dates. So if anyone has access or knows someone with land that holds elk, any additional info would be much appreciated. I've heard a number of people say there are cow elk everywhere and it is easy to get one, but also heard the opposite. My concern is getting one , then getting it in the truck. Anyway I'm rambling - hope to hear from a few people. Thank you.

5. bigbill30978

bigbill30978 Spike

May 17, 2013
    Warren Michigan
    Would go with the at large area, LEA's are mostly private and the outfitters usually have those areas for themselves. Good luck.

6. Rob7

Rob7 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2004
    Don't mean to hijack your thread Chimpy but we're in the same situation as you are. My 14 soon to be 15 year old son drew cow tag first season firearm. Currently gathering as much information as possible so that we can make the best decision possible for his elk hunt. He is super excited about the opportunity and I am excited for him as well. Don't mind paying something to ensure as successful as it can be just would hope it would be somewhat easy on the wallet; but that may just be wishful thinking! With what I know now we are thinking staying at large to keep as many options open as possible but may put in for a particular LEA where someone has offered to help us out if drawn for that LEA. Hoping to learn more about the Private Land Voucher program. Like you hoping for quick in and out due to him being in school.