Season/Weather Predictions?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Oct 9, 2019.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I know my season will be a lot better than last year. 2 new places to hunt. One I been wanting for years and years. Always loaded with birds.

2. Justduckin036

Justduckin036 Fawn

Oct 15, 2018
    Campbell County
    I like high water but last year was a little much. it would go from so high you couldn’t really hunt the river to so low you definitely couldn’t hunt the river and then back to flood stage in a matter of 10 days. As far birds we did pretty well the last two weeks of January but before that it would ROUGH. I’ve found that the week or so surrounding Christmas and New Years is usually the best indicator. If we haven’t gotten the first push of mallards by then it’s likely going to be a bust for the remainder of the season. If we’re shooting Cans and Reds before New Years the birds will likely dry up in middle January and you’d better be content shooting geese.

Meatstick and FOWLER2671 like this.
  3. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    I predict warm weather & 2 lousy seasons in a row.

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Lord help the damdux if we ever get a winter

Big Snuff and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  5. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    I’m predicting that it will be too warm this year for the ducks to come south.

6. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    I kilt LIMITZ! Sorry y'all ain't killtin.

Giveem3outdoors and Meatstick like this.
  7. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I predict lots of.
    Mallard duck sounds.

Followed by the vocabulary of a 70 yr old British Prince.

8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    It has not been a great season for me... About everything that could break did so in December... Not many ducks and waaay too damn many hunters kept them shot out of any spots I know of. The few birds that I have had a bead on have been rather bullet proof!

I do wish we had a bit of freeze up and six inches of snow about Christmas! Ill take a repeat of the 04/05 Winter any season!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Bowfinger and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    "...Spring Flood and Water Resources Outlook Number 1...

This outlook is for the NWS Paducah service area. It covers the time
    period for mid-February through mid-May. It includes the mid-
    Mississippi and lower Ohio Rivers and their tributaries for southwest
    Indiana, southern Illinois, west Kentucky and southeast Missouri..."

https://www.weather.gov/pah/ESF1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't want to scare people, but some of the numbers being thrown out are pretty scary themselves. Here in the Paducah area, we could be looking at numbers greater than the '97 flood, and the '97 flood hit a little under 52 feet. At Cairo, we're looking at major to record flooding. And at Cape Girardeau, we're looking at numbers in excess of the '95 floods and in '95 it hit a little under 47 feet."

^ Mary Lamb, Hydrologist

"Lamb says the most danger of flooding could be between May 1 and 4. Other waterways in the region could also experience high water. Dam workers at Kentucky and Barkley lakes have released water..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pah&gage=olmi2

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    From an article discussing delayed work regarding Olmstead Lock and Dam.

"And in late January the Corps reported that water flows on the Upper Mississippi were already at levels normally observed in late spring. Irregular temperatures have prevented ice from forming in a stable way, which compounds the ice dam problem, the agency said in a statement. Ice has blocked the river’s normal flow, forcing water out of its banks and hampering the Corps’ ability to actively manage the river water elevations.

We have never in our record had these sustained high flows over the month of January,” Dan Fasching, St. Paul District water manager for the Upper Mississippi, said in a statement, adding that depending on temperatures and the rate of ice melt there could be more high water in the months ahead."

https://www.workboat.com/news/coast...completion-of-final-phase-of-olmsted-project/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  11. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

You sure do have a lot of time on your hands.

Brsutton86 and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    That I do, and I have always spent quite a bit of it studying weather, but that doesn't mean I shall permit you to marry me for my money; at least, not without a solid prenuptial agreement protecting it. :p

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  13. Big Snuff

Big Snuff 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    The ground throughout the upper mid west is completely saturated. Any precipitation that falls will run off in the river basins. I agree with the assessment that this spring will have the potential for epic flooding.

The one bright spot will be seasonal wetlands will be full and should provide plenty of nesting habitat for all the ducks we didnt kill this winter.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Outlook #2 has finally been released:

https://www.weather.gov/pah/ESF2

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  15. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky