season is to early. why cant we have it in july!!!!!

turkey1

Fawn
Apr 2, 2012
I hunt in Holland to yesterday birds gobbled around us called in four jakes then the wind started to blow. Today I heard maybe five gobbles and called in one really small jake. I thank the problem in Holand is alot of hened up turkeys and the weather give it just a little longer and the birds will start to work again.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
If anything it is late. Birds already responding better to gobbles and stutters. Ignoring hen dekes and hen calls.

Strutter

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 9, 2001
USA.
It's like in real estate. Location,location,location. Unfortunately my location sucks. Hunted youth weekend with the boys and both days this weekend and saw 8 or 9 hens. No jakes or gobblers. Heard some gobbling on Saturday and a few halfhearted gobbles this morning. Don't matter how good you are at hunting turkeys, if they ain't there, there ain't no killin gonna happen. Hoping they come around the next couple weeks but I wouldn't bet on it as in the past, they taper off after the opener. Guess we'll see what happens.

hunter1943

Spike
Oct 13, 2011
Just like the mushrooms, foliage, crappie, and everything else in nature this year.. They were about a month early this year. I mean yall know we are usually catching crappie and finding mushrooms right now. Why would turkeys be the only thing in nature not a month early this year? Do they have their own eco system?

Some are still on the tail end of their breeding, thus birds being taken. The biggest percentage are done.

KY is on the late side anyway... With the early warm weather the birds are just like everything else. Early. Another reason to open season earlier.

huntindawoods

12 pointer
Apr 9, 2007
Agree totally hunter1943 everthing is early this year. birds in my area are gobbling like crazy on roost strutting only on fly down the hens are with the toms on roost why would they leave something they already got to come check out what they cant find. Its turkey hunting it takes work at it at times, some thinks it should happen at 6:30 every morning good if it does, but when it don't some thinks it an awful year, guess that is what seperates hunter enjoying the outdoors and some who are spoiled.

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
Just like the mushrooms, foliage, crappie, and everything else in nature this year.. They were about a month early this year. I mean yall know we are usually catching crappie and finding mushrooms right now. Why would turkeys be the only thing in nature not a month early this year? Do they have their own eco system?

Some are still on the tail end of their breeding, thus birds being taken. The biggest percentage are done.

KY is on the late side anyway... With the early warm weather the birds are just like everything else. Early. Another reason to open season earlier.

A few things you miss in your assessment and opinion.

Fish spawning is totally dictated by water temperature, unlike animals/birds which dictate their breeding based on angle of the sun and length of days.

Mushrooms, foliage, and flowers do their thing based on air temperature, soil temperature, and rainfall.

Your argument fails from the start, please try again :)

huntindawoods

12 pointer
Apr 9, 2007
Really your tagged out already... You must be proud.... I have only tagged out opening weekend like ten times. Most of the time I try not to tag out opening weekend so I can actually hunt. I would love to be a weekend warrior though. Can you get me some info on how to get one of those patches one of the weekend warrior patches!!!?????

Not everyone has the chances or prevalige to hunt other than weekend so get off the weekend warrior crap I haven't killed this weekend either but I fussin about it. Good Grief, and who would'n want to tag out early if having the chance the longer the season goes more educated the birds get in areas and harder to kill, leave and hunt where you use to if you gonna get on here bash other you are jealous of and the state your hunting in.

Xcal1ber

12 pointer
Jul 16, 2011
Couple ridges over
I see the sarcasm in your post. Most people have this thing called a job during the week, which in turn only lets them hunt weekends, so congrats on not being a weekend warrior. Anyways the birds are acting fine down my way, the only thing I dont like is all the green foliage on the ground because that has made a couple birds hang up just out of shooting range and it is hard to get a shot when they do come into range... Other than that they have been coming in on a string.

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
While this has been a horrible opener for me it has nothing to do with it being too early! If it is anything it needed to be sooner. I had birds strutting, gobbling and throwing down 3-4 weeks ago. With each passing day they activity has gotten less and less. This wind hasnt helped anything but I guarantee you the season isnt too early!

The birds in my area are just not co-operating. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. Maybe I will have to change areas. I know there are plenty of guys in my county killing the heck out of them.

The same here for me too on my property, BadDuck. Hope you bag your Toms before season ends. This is my forth season Turkey Hunting and; I've yet harvested one Tom or seen any Turkeys, during my hunts. Like you have, I heard and seen several Turkeys & heard lots of "Gobbling" 3-4 weeks in mid March, but I hear very little to none now at this date.:( I watched "Kentucky Afield" Sunday and they had a Turkey Biologist on and he was answering questions. One question was "Why don't we have an earlier Turkey Season" and his answer that if Ky did open the season in mid March, this would kill off too many breeding males which would result in a decline in the Turkey Population.":confused: YET they open Squirrel in May so wouldn't that kill off all the breeding Squirrels, at that time too????:confused:

hunter1943

Spike
Oct 13, 2011
They are too protective of the turkey population. I, like the rest of you, love turkey hunting but the fact is we aren't going to hurt the population that much. I have been wrong once or twice but don't think so this time.

We hunt deer during the rut. The herd survives. We hunt squirrels when they have young.

I just think they are taking it too far. I can't speak for the state as a whole but where I am in the woods there isn't a shortage of birds. I just would rather be able to go work an early season love hungry tom than one that's had his fill and is on the downside.

The birds in some areas are finished breeding. Some places they are on the very end. Why not back it up so everyone can get in on some better hunting. Not just the places where they can catch the very end of the cycle?

I'll always feel this way. Always have. People are what makes the business of turkey hunting. Why not put it on the table and try it a year or two and see what happens. It's a shame they will even tell you on tv they are handicapping us by making season late.

DRS

Banned
Mar 3, 2010
Kentucky
They are too protective of the turkey population. I, like the rest of you, love turkey hunting but the fact is we aren't going to hurt the population that much. I have been wrong once or twice but don't think so this time.

We hunt deer during the rut. The herd survives. We hunt squirrels when they have young.

I just think they are taking it too far. I can't speak for the state as a whole but where I am in the woods there isn't a shortage of birds. I just would rather be able to go work an early season love hungry tom than one that's had his fill and is on the downside.

The birds in some areas are finished breeding. Some places they are on the very end. Why not back it up so everyone can get in on some better hunting. Not just the places where they can catch the very end of the cycle?

I'll always feel this way. Always have. People are what makes the business of turkey hunting. Why not put it on the table and try it a year or two and see what happens. It's a shame they will even tell you on tv they are handicapping us by making season late.

I begining to think that the reasons for opening the season too late, here in KY, is a MONEY issue and POLITICS. They don't want everybody to harvest a Turkey or anyother game, so there will be plenty or an over abundance of game to attract more Out-Of-State Hunters, so they can receive more money. IMHO.

hunter1943

Spike
Oct 13, 2011
I begining to think that the reasons for opening the season too late, here in KY, is a MONEY issue and POLITICS. They don't want everybody to harvest a Turkey or anyother game, so there will be plenty or an over abundance of game to attract more Out-Of-State Hunters, so they can receive more money. IMHO.

Amen. Money is the key.

buckfever

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2002
Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
I'm still trying to figure out the original poster's (hollandhunter) gripe. The season hadn't been opened 1 day, and it was already shaping up as the "worst" ever in his judgment. I then attempted to count the total number of contradictions, exaggerations, and "I'm a jackass" comments, but I lost count.

It is starting to be the worst season of all time!!! I went yesterday an don't think I heard a gobble. I saw a strutted alone at that but would not gobble for nothing. An could not get to him from were he was. I don't understand. My dad went to same spot this am an didn't hear nothing untill 10 am. An he heard one gobble an it was one an done. I have never had a opener like this. Never. An if im not mistaken it is the greenest hottest season opener we have had. Im glad all those guys who said season was not opening to late were.right. I been seei.g hens on eggs for 2 months. Wonder why they ain't gobbling. Wow. An to think the guys in illinoise start there season before we start ours. Wonder why. They must be nuts huh. I think we should wait an have our season in july.

OK, you didn't see, hear or kill any birds on opening morning. We all get that part. However, any experienced turkey hunter knows that there are times when that happens, so the first instinct is to chalk up your remarks to beginner frustrations.

You then go on to say that you've seen hens on the nest for 2 months. Really? You saw hens on the nest in mid-February? Wow, that's pretty early.

You then go on to note that Illinois opens earlier than Ky. I dunno whether that's true or not, but regardless, it implies that Ky's season opens too late. You then advocate a July opener, which most people assume to be sarcastic, but who really knows?

Yea I didnt say people werent killing birds. They kill them every fall too. Nothing new. Im not saying I wont luck up and kill a bird myself. Im just saying we open up season to early! Heck I said july earlier I ment August that way we could go right into bow hunting deer soon as spring turkey season went out. Would be no different then this year.
An before people are so quick to judge my personal opinion please take in to consideration that I have never killed any turkeys really and I am just now getting into the whole spring turkey hunting thing. This is just working on my second decade of tukey hunting here in the south and I think there was only one season since I started that I didnt kill my state wide bag limit. Also I have been blessed to hunt over the years with the same hunting partner and he his self is new to the game after two decades of hunting turkeys and has killed more turkeys then most people ever see in the spring. I dont recall a year in the last 12 or 13yrs that he didnt kill his state wide limit either. Not braggin I just know when things arent right.
Maybe we arent killing or hearing and gobblers cause we dont have a 1000 doller shot gun loaded with a 3 1/2 inch mag extended range.
I dont remember the last time I actually hunted with a modern fire arm. We prefer our bows and muzzeloaders/muzzeloading shotguns. That is prolly why we didnt hear any turkeys this weekend. :)

You ramp up the sarcasm by saying the season should be in August, not July. You follow this little gem up with the surprising admission that you've tagged out every single year (except one) in your second decade of turkey hunting. Moreover, you performed this admirable feat with bows and ML shotguns without relying on "1000 doller shot gun loaded with 3 1/2 inch mag extended range" shells.

Let me be the first to say I tip my hat to you for being such a wonderful turkey slayer. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I envy your truly impressive list of accomplishments.

That being said, judging by the enormous success you've had, I've got to tell you that I'm scratching my head why, after only one morning of poor hunting, you're so fixated on the need to change the date of the season opener?????

Really your tagged out already... You must be proud.... I have only tagged out opening weekend like ten times. Most of the time I try not to tag out opening weekend so I can actually hunt. I would love to be a weekend warrior though. Can you get me some info on how to get one of those patches one of the weekend warrior patches!!!?????

Now, after somebody mentioned that they've already tagged out by harvesting their 2 birds on successive mornings of opening weekend, you quickly become Johnny Topper and one-up them by saying you've done this "like ten times". Again, this is perplexing, because if you've encountered THAT much success on opening weekend, 10 times in somewhere between 11 to 19 years of turkey hunting in Ky, it would seem that you'd be pretty happy with the season opening date being exactly where it is.

I then noticed that you couldn't resist trotting out the "weekend warrior" pejorative to the guy that mentioned having already tagged out. I'm just wondering whether this fellow was a "weekend warriors" because he happened to tag out on opening weekend, or is he deserving of that title because he actually has a job and can't take off every day to go turkey hunting? It seems to me that if you've tagged out on opening weekend at least 10 times, you might actually qualify for a patch too if you actually have a job that you need to attend during the week. If you don't have a job, then please feel free to use the "weekend warrior" label with impunity. After all, a jobless guy that hunts turkeys every day is clearly entitled to disparage folks that work for a living.

Either you've got memory problems and forgotten your prodigious turkey hunting accomplishments under the existing season structure, you're lying about your past successes, or you're just a jack-ass that's crying sour-grapes about not having any success this past weekend and feels the need to run down the guys that did have success by one-upping them ("I've tagged out on opening weekend at least 10 times, and I did it with bows and ML, not them 1000 doller shotguns with 3 1/2" extended range shells like you guys with dem weekend warrior patches."

Which is it?

To this post and the other guys that talked about KY being over-protective of its turkeys:

A. Read what Hitch said (except leave out the last line, because it too was clearly of the dripping sarcastic jackass variety). Turkeys are not deer, plants or fish. Like deer, turkeys breed primarily on photo-periodism.

B. I personally believe that the warm weather induced slightly earlier breeding, but I agree whole-heartedly with CSSArcher's observations that the early ground cover this year likely saved a lot of early turkey nests from predation which in turn, means fewer hens being bred on the second or third rounds of nesting.

C. You start shooting gobblers before the birds have had a good chance to breed, and not only do you interfere with their breeding/nesting, you're only a couple of bad hatches away from a 1 bird limit. The turkey season is structured the way it is for a reason. KDFWR KNOWS that not every turkey hunter will shoot a limit every year. KDFWR KNOWS that the majority of turkey hunters in the state won't bag even a single bird. That's just the way it is.

If the seasons were structured to make it as easy as possible on every hunter to fill his/her tag, we'd destroy our turkey flock in short order, and we'd be at a 1 or no bird limit in short order.

For the life of me, I still cannot fathom why some of you guys are so eager to fix something that ain't broken.

Last edited:

rys40

8 pointer
Nov 29, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I been seei.g hens on eggs for 2 months. Wonder why they ain't gobbling. Wow. An to think the guys in illinoise start there season before we start ours. Wonder why. They must be nuts huh. I think we should wait an have our season in july.

If you have been seeing hens on the nest for 2 months either A. something is wrong with those eggs, or B. you should have poults that are nearly 6 weeks old wandering around. The incubation period for a wild turkey is only 28 days.

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
If you have been seeing hens on the nest for 2 months either A. something is wrong with those eggs, or B. you should have poults that are nearly 6 weeks old wandering around. The incubation period for a wild turkey is only 28 days.

One of my coworkers had poults on his farm 2 weeks ago....

Latest posts