Season change

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 8&sand, Aug 26, 2012.

1. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Would anyone else like to see a early modern firearm season?:p I'm talking 1 day. Kind of a bang to start the season off. You know like thunder over Louisville kicks off the derby festivities. How awesome would it be to pop that velvet buck from 300 yards out! :cool:

2. sniperflash

sniperflash 6 pointer

Sep 14, 2011
    berea ky
    i like my bow hunting awfull nice but it would deff get a lot of people fired up i also thing it might get some poaching started early than normal too i dont know untelling

3. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I'd like to see a crossbow only season the week before bow season.

4. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    That would be awesome but they should make all deer killed that day be checked at a check station and not telechecked. That way it would keep everyone honest.

5. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    Honest what's that? I say a lot of guys on this forum has wives that hunt with them. They always kill the first buck..:rolleyes:

6. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    Thats what everyone was before telecheck.

7. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Great ideas guys! I know it's to late for this year but maybe we can get a petition going for next season.

8. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    muzzleoader season is pretty much rifle season the way there made now....i don't like velvet bucks so i say no

9. gobbl4me

gobbl4me 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2005
    Lyon Co.
    I say open gun season on On Oct 1st and end it on Dec 1st. That way we can hunt some of the prime time the high and mighty bowhunters get to hunt.

10. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    What about if you take a turkey in august with a crossbow, you get an extra buck tag good Sept. 1st thru Oct 31st? Dogs, rifle, it doesn't matter.

11. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Not sure what type of ML your using but there is no way it compares to my 416 Ruger!

12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    That is 2 of the best ideas that I have heard to help energize deer season

13. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

Here we go with the check station b.s. again. I grew up hunting in TN and still hunt down there. Most times I have to drive past my in-laws farm (where I do my butchering) to get to the check station. It would be just as easy to drive to the house and not check that deer in as it is in Kentucky to drive a deer home without telechecking it. Check stations and telecheck just keep the honest man honest. They don't do anything to deter the guy that was going to poach a deer anyway.

I like the check station system because you get chance to see what other folks are bringing in, but otherwise it's a pain in the arse. Since TN started allowing you to check in deer online or at the check station, I quit going to check stations. It saves me about 25 miles of driving and about an hour of wasted time.

14. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Absolutely not. Things are perfect the way they are. Why mess up a good thing?

15. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I'd only support a weekend-long early rifle season if it helped KDFWR make extra money. I think the best way for KDFWR to raise a LOT of money is by making the early rifle season for non-residents only. Maybe give the NR's a "bonus" buck tag they could use on that weekend.