Scored in Florida

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by turkeyman2000, Apr 6, 2009.

1. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    I took a buddy of mine with me to Florida this year and we both took birds. It took us a while to figure them out, but we got'em. We had to set out 2 strutting decoys about 15 yards from the line-fence...so that when the boss saw them, he would come a-runnin'....which he did. Jesse killed him at about 30 yards. He was 17 lbs, 9 3/4" beard, and one spur was 1", the other was 7/8".

I had a chance to get a real nice gobbler the very next morning. We roosted the bird the night before. We slipped in real early the next morning and set up our decoys, blind, and camera. We got about 35-40 minutes of that gobbler gobbling and strutting on the limb. Yes, he was that close. Probably no more than 100 yards. Very good video footage. He flew down almost into our decoy spread..about 35 yards. But when he landed, he landed behind a big pine tree and he stood there for about 2 minutes as still as a statue. About that time, 6 other turkeys fly down just behind him. He then starts strutting back toward those turkeys. I thought they were going to lead him away...so I took the shot with my sidelock muzzleloader. It was about a 45 yard shot. I clean missed. I have made a longer shot with the same gun....but for some reason, I missed. I may have flinched a little...pulled off a bit...heck, I don't know. I just know that turkey flew off.

The next morning rolled around, our last morning in Florida. I had said that we were going to leave between 8 and 9 that morning to get home at a decent hour. We tried rousing something in the same spot we had the one going the morning before when I missed that turkey. No response. So, on a whim, I said, let's go to the very back of the farm and set up fairly close to the line fence. We started calling. Didn't hear anything for the first 10 or 15 minutes of calling. Then all of the sudden, a turkey gobbled in the middle of the field. Then we see another gobbler. Then at least another 6 or 7 jakes joined them. The big birds started chasing those jakes around and around and around. They came over next to the fence, still fighting and running around. All of the sudden, they start coming under the fence and working toward our decoy. They were still running around and around. My buddy made a couple of clucks and the only one that would stick his head up and stand still long enough was a jake. The smokepole barked, and down he went. He was 14 1/2 lbs, 3 3/4" beard, and 1/4" spurs. I was proud to harvest him. :D

That's me in the first picture and Jesse in the second one.

Attached Files:

2. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY
    Congratulations on the success in FL! 2 good lookin' birds.

3. BigKuntry

BigKuntry Fawn

Mar 14, 2009
    Ole Jess Martin

Man, are you running around with that guy J-Martin? Lol...Jessy told me that you too had a blast! Good post!

4. mcdenney

mcdenney 12 pointer

Dec 16, 2002
    Wildcat Country, USA.
    Congrats Big E! Way to go and lay the smack down! I am going to take you up on that Florida trip one of these days mand get me one of them thar Florida turkeys. Is that a B-Mobile you boys were using? Give me a call bro! You need to gobble more and not strut so much so I know where you are at. :D

5. raven_over_easy

raven_over_easy 12 pointer

Aug 19, 2006
    congrats! dandy birds!!!

6. turkeyman2000

turkeyman2000 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2005
    Paris, Kentucky
    BigKuntry, it is the Jesse that you speak of. We had a blast!!

Thanks guys!! It was hard hunting...but it was fun. We really had to work to get those birds. Heck, Jesse didn't kill till the 5th day. It took us a while to figure them out. If we could have hunted the farm next door, we would have been tagged out the first day. It just took a lot to get those turkeys to cross the fence, but we finally convinced a couple to do so.

Mcdenney, you know you're invited brother. Open invitation for you. That is a Pretty Boy decoy...not a B-Mobile.

Thanks Raven and CHL!!

7. roleksy

roleksy 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2006
    Indiana/Butler Co. Ky
    Congrats, nothing tougher than an Osceola, especially on public ground. I only filled one tag this year, they were definitely tougher than usual on opening week of central zone. What area were you hunting?

8. WKYHNTR

WKYHNTR 8 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Muhlenberg
    Congratulations, those Florida birds sure are fun to hunt. I managed to take one this year but my dad had nothing but bad luck! That’s why there is next year, oh yeah our season comes in less than 10 days! :eek: Will it ever get here?

9. booner1331

booner1331 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    nice birds congrats

10. jsc3150

jsc3150 8 pointer

Sep 20, 2004
    Lexington
    Congrats guys, That sounds like an awesome hunt.

11. huntindawoods

huntindawoods 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2007
    congrats on the hunt in FL. on two fine birds, sounds like you all had a great time.