Scored another neat one!!!!

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    No, I don't NEED three antique waffle irons but they're soooo cool!!!!!

This one may make my fingers bleed by the time I get it cleaned up & seasoned but it'll be worth it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Won't it make neat waffles once I get it cleaned up & seasoned??????

It appears to be from the 1850's (yes EIGHTEEN 50's) and was made by North Harrison and Chase out of Philadelphia....

And, aside from what appears to be mostly superficial rust, both the paddles and the base are in suprisingly good shape. It'll be a few days before I can get it in the etank (dissolved my anodes & have a backup of iron waiting to go in now that it's back up & running) but I'll post pics once it's done.

barney, drakeshooter, Munson and 2 others like this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
  3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Nice! Have you ever tried citric acid for taking off the rust? I have several gallons from work and use it for old rusted nuts and bolts. Just wondered if it would work as well on cast iron.

drakeshooter likes this.
  4. Off topic but we had gooberment no brand koolaid in the navy, called it big juice. We’d hit up the galley for a few packs once a month to clean the diamond plate decks in the engine room lol. It’s citric acid too and did the trick.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Haven't but I'd bet it'd work... Any idea how much that stuff runs?

6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I'm really not sure. I've seen the powder people use to mix, I think it sells on amazon. Not sure where you're located, but I'd be glad to give you a 2.5 gallon jug if you ever want to try it. What I have is 50% strength.

7. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Let me do some research.... Don't want to take a chance on damaging the iron (vinegar can turn it to mush if left in too long)!!!! The etank is great but it's a continual battle to find unpainted steel to use as the sacrificial anodes....

8. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Citric acid is a weak acid like acetic acid (vinegar). If you wanted to test it out weak, you could just use lemon juice. You should be able to find it in the stores in the canning section too.