Scope

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by kyoutdoorsman, Jan 17, 2020.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Snooping around on long range shooting (competition) forums, I recently found out that Burris is no longer made in Colorado. They moved all their manufacturing overseas but they also set up all of their own machining to maintain their quality.
    Also, Vortex scope glass, below the razor line, is inferior to leupold VX3, while the Vortex razor binocular line has better glass than leupold binos (which are made in Asia). The pros on vortex is that the warranty and customer service are exceptional. The knocks are that the lower end scopes have inferior glass and the tracking is not consistent.

Timholt70 and JR in KY like this.
  2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I’m slowly realizing the advantages of good glass. And depending on who you talk to all my scopes are low quality. But I would consider the hawke vantage and Nikko sterling I have mounted on a couple 243’s the worst. Then what I consider a little better would be my Bushnell elite 3200 and a vortex Viper. I also have some old Bushnell scopes made in Japan that are clear and tough. Im hoping to get my hands on a vxiii soon.... My current wish list scope would be the swaro 3x9x32. Need to talk to 1wildcatfan And get his opinion on that scope

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  3. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Everyone must have deep pockets. I can't afford a Leupold. I would like to have a bushnell elite or a vortex

4. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    My next scope will be a cvlife or pintany 6x24x 50 off Amazon just to see what they are what about. Alot of good reviews

5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

I’m very far from financially rich, but I work everyday and the big man upstairs provides everything I need and I have a very good life on the farm. but back on track I have became so frugal these days when I do trick myself to fork out some money on something like a scope or a gun I only do so because those items tend a holder value and it’s almost like putting money in a savings account, at least that’s what I tell myself!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    A rifle is only as good as the glass atop of it. Most of my rifles are worth less than the scope on top of them. It's a good system so far

7. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I have a vortex diamondback on my deer rifle, great scope and I gave a hawke vantage on my coyote gun, it’s as good if not better than the vortex. I highly recommend either of these, both were under 200 when I purchased them.

8. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    The VX-Freedom has VX-II glass in it and starts at $199 for 3-9x40. No more than an Elite or Vortex. The Bushnell Elite is a great quality scope. Owned a couple of them over the years. If you’re going to buy an el cheapo. Just go Walmart and buy one of their Bushnell or a CenterPoint. At least if you ain’t happy you can go get your money back ASAP.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  9. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Do you have a freedom on any of your guns

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Most expensive scope I own is a Nikon I bought around Christmas on sale for $119. LOL! All of my other scopes are the cheapos that came with the gun. I’ve never had any trouble out of any of them but all I want them for is to hunt with and I’m not a long range shooter anyway so they serve the purpose.

11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    My two Leupold scopes were bought used for $200 each. They work fine. The last scope I got was the Vortex rimfire bought with Cabela’s gift cards. I believe I paid $200 for the Vortex and put it on a $125 Glenfield Model 60.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  12. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Yes. On a CVA Optima V2 muzzleloader.

13. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    He is exactly correct.
    Not everyone can afford the S&B stuff that he has but they are top of the line scopes. Also for Long Range a March Scope is right there with S&B. I have a Nightforce NXS and I thought it was a Good Scope till I looked through a S&B and March. Now it looks like a Simmons to me.
    Vortex is a good Value with an unbeatable warranty. Vipers are pretty good.
    Dont get a Nikon because they went out of the Scope business.

14. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I'm far from deep pockets, but I figure I'll have my Leupolds until I go toes up, so why not get something I know will last that long. I have cheaper scopes on my rimfires and fun guns, but my deer rifles are different. I do everything I can to be ready.....season only comes once per year. I have bought a couple used Leupolds on Fleabay and had good luck with them. They have a lifetime warranty, so if they aren't any good, you can get them fixed or replaced.

KY Swamp Beagler and 1wildcatfan like this.
  15. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Most of my rifles wear Leupold scopes, but also have a couple of Nikon and Weaver scopes on several other rifles.

1wildcatfan likes this.