Scope on a shotgun?

Gixxerjoe04

10 pointer
Dec 14, 2010
Lexington, KY
Does anyone use a scope on their shotgun for turkey hunting? Just wondering if it helps out a lot or if it doesnt really matter since the shots aren't more than 40 yards or whatever it is usually. This is my first year turkey hunting so I'm new to everything and have just seen a lot of video's with people using scopes on their shotgun.

M

mrdux

I use a Bushnell shotgun scope on my Mossberg 835 turkey gun. I had a severe neck injury with spinal fusions that make it nearly impossible to get my eye down to vent rib level so it really helps me in that respect. On the bad side, 2 years ago the scope cost me shots at 2 longbeards. The first was in Todd County in some really rough terrain and the turkey was coming up a steep ridge to where we were set up just off the crest. I had the gun up on my knee and was looking thru the scope to where I THOUGHT he would pop up. Ends up he popped up about 10 yards to the right of where I was aiming and out of my field of view. By the time I realized he was there, he was 15 yards away, looking right at me. When I raised my head up to check on him, he caught the movement and was gone back down the ridge quicker than I could swing on him. The 2nd was when I was hunting in a monsoon downpour and couldn't keep the scope cleaned off. I had 2 longbeards charge the decoys and when I went to aim on the front bird, all I could see was water droplets and fog. In both cases, open sights would have allowed me to make the aim corrections without being picked off. I won't do away with my scope since it has a reticle that allows me to use it as a rangefinder so I know 100% sure the bird is within 40 yards. I've killed a bunch of birds since I started using mine and say it has helped more than hurt. I went to a Holosight last year and missed 2 birds, one at 25 yards, because it was off aim. It proved to be much too delicate for the abuse my scope has held up to with zero issues.

Ash12

10 pointer
Oct 21, 2007
I use a red dot and like it for the most part. I wish I was able to get a better one but didnt do it. Red dots are nice because basicly where ever you put the do your going to hit as long as you have it sighted in good.

littletom

8 pointer
Feb 24, 2008
Knob Lick, Ky
I have sights and like those better. I have shot a few turkeys over the years running nad flying. Put a scope on it and you have to aim, you can not point like a regular gun if you need too.

kycrat

6 pointer
May 15, 2008
unless u have some problems like mrdux i think it's just person preference. i’ve killed birds with both but shoot a scope today. If you chose a dot scope replace batteries at the start of every season. Nothing worst then getting out there to find you forgot to turn it off the day before and the batteries r dead!!!

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
I think it all depends on your set up. Were I'm shooting a tighter choke and hevi shot I can shoot at 50 yards if I really want to. But the down side to that is that my pattern is about the size of a tennis ball inside 20 and I could easily miss a close bird. Also some guns POA and POI may be slightly off. Red dots help prevent this as well as other adjustable sights. Tru glow makes a good set of open sights if the red dot or scope isn’t you thing. I would pattern at 15-25-40 etc... on a big sheet of construction paper so you know exactly how your gun is shooting and where your pattern is the densest. It might really surprise you. I have an 1187 that consistently throws slightly high and left. Not so much it won’t kill a bird but a set of aftermarket sights enable me to get 110% from that gun. Good luck.

Semp

10 pointer
Feb 4, 2008
Kaintukee
I have a Weaver V3 1x3-20mm scope on my SBE and really like it. I usually keep it on 1 power and keep both eyes open. It really makes a difference.

I wish I had went to a scope years ago.

Gixxerjoe04

10 pointer
Dec 14, 2010
Lexington, KY
I still have to pattern my gun, wont be able to until next week unfortunatly. I have a mossberg 835 waterfowl, changed out the choke so i hope it can get the job done.