Sciatic nerve pain

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by supergoat80, Feb 10, 2019.

1. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    I wrenched my back a couple weeks ago cutting wood. I felt it was getting back to normal when the nerve pain started. The back pain is gone mostly but I can’t stand or walk without being in pain. My question is have any of you had this problem and was there any remedy for it?

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Been thru back issues myself. Meds,rest,ice,heat,traction and electric stimulus treatment didn’t seem to help much. Bought an inversion table and used it and that got me better. Several guys I know I’ve told them same thing and they have had good results with it also.

OLE RASPY likes this.
  3. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    What little bear said and I can add stretching which the table helps with but stretch every morning trust me it makes ya feel better

4. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    I had this years ago, I had to do my job differently to try and keep the symptoms away. Many times driving home from work the pain shooting down my leg was unbearable. Ice packs and ibuprofen were my best methods. I finally left that department and the pain has gone with it.

5. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Chiropractor,they done wonders whith my wife’s back,she couldn’t walk hardly the pain was so bad,took several sessions,but it sure helped her.

00noturkey and carnivore like this.
  6. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Yep. Just last year. Mine hurt the longer I sat, then shooting pain for several minutes when I stood up.

For me, I went to the chiropractor and massage therapist and they helped tremendously. Still go to both about once a month. There are also several stretches you can do that help, but you have to do them everyday.

Finally, and you can laugh all you want, but started doing Yoga. Not the girly Yoga. This is a version developed by Diamond Dallas Paige, the former professional wrestler. It’s made me fell better than I have in years.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Dad had the same thing for many years. Chiropractor and stretches gave temporary relief. When it go to the point where he couldn't shoot pool, it was serious. He had surgery, laminectomy. Very minor surgery as far as back surgeries. Basically trimmed away the bone where it was pressing on his nerves. That was nearly 10 years ago. He does great. Be careful on your stretches. I'd consult a chiropractor before doing any stretches. Some could be make it worse, depending on what your problem is.

8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    If you only have a "bulging" disc, you can usually help it with down time, therapy and steroids. If you have a ruptured disc, the only thing that will help is surgery. I have had 4 lower back surgery and had no choice. I would be in a wheel chair by now if I hadn't. The surgery is not nearly as painful as the problem. If you have shards of a disc rubbing on the nerve, it will do permanent damage if it goes too long, so you need to get n MRI to see what the problem is before you can make a decision. Also, go someplace like UK Med Center if you need surgery. They do so many they're good at it. I would also see if laser surgery is an option, too.

9. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Inversion table, ice, stretching, and exercise. Graham Chiropractic in Louisville helped a great deal as well. I have a bulging disc and have avoided surgery so far.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have a bulging disc. It flares up on me when I over-do it with carrying stuff. I've never had leg pain with mine, just that lower back pain. Few times, I couldn't stand upright.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    Best advice I can give is to see a chiropractor(a good, reputable one) and if you carry a billfold in your back pocket, take it out when you sit or drive for any length of time. Yoga and inversion table is a plus as well. Good luck with it.

12. turkeyhunter91

turkeyhunter91 10 pointer

Apr 3, 2007
    I had 2 herniated disk and I have fought with it for the last few years.the sciatica pain was worse than my back pain as well. There are some exercises call the McKenzie extension therapy as well as some others. I did them twice a day and they helped me get over the hump a little where I could start decompression at the chiropractor. Before I started the excersises the decompression liked to kill me. It is where they strap you to a table and use hydrologics to stretch you. I tried a inverted table and it made my leg hurt worse. The only way I could use it was by taking a strap and run it around my waste and tighten it to hold me on leaving my leg free, it helped a little but it wasnt any comparison to the decompression. Some people it works better on but in my case it only helped a little.

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    All true. There’s definitely different severities of Sciatica. My disc was only bulging. Thus the chiropractor, stretching and massage therapy helped.

Really don’t want surgery.

14. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    I’ve had back problem since a young teen. It’s my lower back. Chiropractor has helped. I have bulging disc. Bout 3 years ago I had pain shooting down my left leg from the sciatic nerve. Stretches did help. I need to try the inversion table. I still have pain from time to time. Have to sleep with a pillow under my legs. Sometimes that pillow will work it’s way out and I wake up next morning and my back is hurting like hell. Takes 3 or 4 days to get over it and 800 mg ibuprofen.

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. eshoremd

eshoremd Fawn

May 20, 2012
    I figured wth and bought an inversion table for $100 back in April. I haven't been back to the chiropractor since. You wont know if it'll help unless you try. If it doesn't work sell it on craigslist.