School Outdoor Club

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Mepperson, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    A fellow teacher and I are considering starting an Outdoor Club at our school. We have talked about monthly meetings with guest speakers such as accomplished hunters, conservation officers, etc. We have also talked about a parent/child fishing tourney, big buck contest, turkey contest, and maybe a wild game dinner to start and end each school year. I know we would have a ton of interest, but my questions to you guys....

Anyone have this at a school that you know about?
    Any other ideas for activities?
    Any concerns that we need to think about?
    What do you think?

2. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    My brother in law is the head of his outdoor club a the school he teaches at. The kids love it. They do the wild game dinner like you're talking about. It sounds like you guys have thought about a lot of things to incorporate. I'd say go for it. I'm sure you have the approval of the administration right?

1.You could make wood duck boxes in the Spring. That has always been fun for kids around here.
    2. Start a bulletin board of hunting pictures involving the kids.
    3. I see you are in Murray. I went to MSU and was part of the wildlife society. We went to LBL every year to do a deer drive to count numbers. That was always fun.
    4. You could call MSU wildlife society to get ideas as well.

These are just some suggestions and ideas. Sounds like a good idea for you to start. Good luck

3. plowboy

plowboy 10 pointer

Mike, we had a small club when I was in high school a couple centuries ago. I think there were only about a dozen of us but it was a blast. The most memorable part was in my last two years when several of us had a "camp out" weekend with fishing.

Good luck, great idea.

4. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    If you don't have an Archery team I would look to get one started. It usually attracts attention from kids that are not necessarily exposed to Archery or the Outdoors in general.

You can then incorporate the "Outdoors" part of it with the team. The kids that do not make the Archery team could remain in the club and still practice and shoot as the team does to keep them involved and become better for when the next team is formed or a kid moving up from Elementary to Middle School or High School.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    That's a pretty good idea, Mike. There should be no shortage of potential activities around here.

You could always make a field trip to one of the annual Wing Dings to show them all what they will be like in 20 years. :D

6. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Elitist Bowhunter

Feb 17, 2004
    at the Elite Level
    Oh no. Mike would be out of a job and the kids would be scarred for life.

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Yeah, he would probably just have to drive by slowly and point. :D

Kind of a "Scared Straight" moment, if you will.

8. duxdown 1

duxdown 1 6 pointer

Jan 9, 2009
    western ky
    School Program

Have you looked into the NSSP? National schoolastic sports program.

Always attracts young hunters and fishermen er women.

9. Dave62

Dave62 6 pointer

Jan 17, 2008
    Breckinridge Co., KY
    I am a Co-sponser for the Cougar Sportsman's Club at Grayson County High School. A friend and I started it a couple years ago. We have 3D archery shoots at the softball field at school a couple times a year, we had a trap shoot at Caneyville Sportman's Club last spring (planning on having another this spring), we have big bird contests in the spring and fall for turkey, we have a big buck contest that runs the length of deer season, we have had cookouts, and plan on having a fishing trip or two this spring. We have had fundraisers in the past and bought several trail camers for the members to check out for a week at a time anytime they are available. We have monthly meetings at school and we talk about ideas ranging from wildlife management to new toys for hunting and fishing.

It is a blast. PM if you need anything.

Also Gobblergetter, I was a member of the Wildlife Society at Murray State from 95-99. It was always a great time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  10. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Thanks for the replies guys. Right now we are just in the talking phase. We would have to get the admins okay so we plan to start with an interest survey and plan some of the activities as well as develop some objectives on what we want the kids to get out of the program. We already have an archery club that's been going on for about 3 years. In fact, we are taking some kids to Henderson tomorrow for a shoot.

Thanks for all of the ideas, but bringing anyone to a Wing Ding that isn't over 30 would probably scar them for life so I'll leave that on a back burner. The biggest obstacle is time. The other teacher and I are already involved with other extra curriculars (coaching) that take up most of our time but we want to give it a try. I know we will have a big interest, I just hope we can get other adults involved to help out.

11. Blue Moon

Blue Moon 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2009
    Paducah, KY
    Outdoor club

Mepperson, we have a "Sportsman Club" here at my middle school. It is one of the most popular clubs we have. You have gotten tons of good ideas so far. One thing I would suggest before you go much further is checking with your principal and superintendent to make sure that some of the proposed activities are OK with them.

In our HS, we have a wall sponsored by NSSP for any student post their hunting pictures. Some schools might frown on pictures of kids with guns and dead game posted in the hallway--I'm glad that we don't frown on it, but others might!

12. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    Our county schools all have Archery in the Schools Teams but Southwestern High also has a Raptor Club which rehabilitates Eagles, Hawks, Owls and such. It is a popular program.

13. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Thanks, actually it is common to see pics of our kids and their game posted in the hallway. I'm guilty of asking kids for them and showing them off. Thanks for the pointers as well. I am on SBDM here and am familiar with the red tape and such. When I go present, I'll have plenty of "stuff' that shows how it will benefit the school community by building relationships and promoting good healthy life long activities in the outdoors. Right now it is just in the talking phase, I plan to get things together before the next school year begins.

14. turkeyfever

turkeyfever 6 pointer

Mar 21, 2009
    I worked as a consuelor for the Upward Bound program last summer and taught an outdoor survival class. I taught the kids how to make a fire, a lean-to, a compass with a magnet and needle, how to collect water using a plastic bag, setup a tent, and some other things. The kids seemed to enjoy it.

Also, there are tons of activities out there that give situations where you have to choose from a list what to take to a deserted island, from a plane crash accident, etc. I let the kids rank them, and we discussed the importance of each. These and several others similiar to them are easily found on the internet. If you need anything, I'll be glad to help you out the best I can.

15. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Thanks guys, all of these ideas and other input is great.