Scent lok

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by forddeerslayer, Jan 30, 2014.

1. forddeerslayer

forddeerslayer 12 pointer

Jun 26, 2009
    greenup/lewis co
    I've got a 2 mile ride to my stand from my house by atv. Does anyone wear their scent lok clothing on a atv? I'm not looking to get into a debate I've read plenty on here about it. Anyone who uses scent lok suit do you ride to your stand in your clothing? I figure if it is meant to absorb stuff it would absorb all of the air and wear the clothing out quicker. It appears to be high quality clothing and I want to make it last as long as I can.

2. Ky_Hill Hunter

Ky_Hill Hunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2013
    Bullitt Co
    I wear scent Lok coveralls.
    Never worried about the four wheeler scent but I do make sure not to put them on till im out of the truck. They'd smell like stale coffee and mcdonalds French fries for sure.

One thing I do though, i try not to fill up the gas tank on the atv. I usually stop about half full when putting fuel in. Never fails, you fill it up and the gas will overflow just enough to wet the top of the tank and your leg.

All that being said, bear in mind I'm not a scent control freak. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I believe in playing the wind as much as possible, and keeping my odor down, but I don't follow specific regimens. And if the wind isn't just right, or If I somehow manage to accidentally crap in my parka hood ... I'm still going hunting. So you might want a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kenbuckyblu

kenbuckyblu 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    I dont like to ride mine very far, reason is, i can smell the exhaust fumes on myself, after a short ride. If you can smell exhaust on yourself, you can bet the deer are smelling you, i like to walk in as much as possible, if i do ride in, i stop way short of my stand and walk the rest of the way. And i like to spray down after i get off the 4 wheeler, hoping that helps cover it up.

4. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Scentloc or carhart overalls...if you are riding in, I'd recommend putting your gear in a garbage bag and changing.

Reminds me a little of the guys we see in Scentloc gear getting out of their trucks to fill the gastank before they get McDonald's on the way to the opening day hunt. If you are worried about scent, take the time to really worry about scent.

5. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    Keep the wind in your favor if possible and you wont have to worry about it. If not do what Fat Tony said put them in something air tight and change when you get there.

6. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    It appears you are more worried about wearing it out due to absorbing "air" while riding......that's not a concern, as it will not wear out quicker by riding an atv. If a carbon based suit, it may require "activation" more frequently which may reduce the overall life. As far as scent control, I agree with Tony and Chris.....put it on at the base of your tree.

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    In my opinion riding on the ATV would have to be better than walking and sweating in it. I got a box on the back of the ATV and will usually spray quickly before heading to the stand.

8. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Unless you are hauling butt uphill or at double time, the sweat is on the inside of the scent lock barrier...whereas the exhaust fumes are on the outside.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don't have too much scent lock gear. Can afford it. I just spray down well. I haven't noticed ATV odor but I can't say the deer don't. I don't ride far at all but if I walk it's a gradual uphill for a few hundred yards and I sweat in 0 degree weather. This is the first year I've used an ATV and I've enjoyed climbing on stand without being all sweaty. I usually park at least 150 yds from my stand.

10. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    I don't ride a 4 wheeler in, but if I did I would pack it in the scent lok duffle bag and then put it on when you get off. I agree with the fumes and gas smell on your clothes.

I have to walk about 1/2 mile to my hunting area, so I always pack my duffle bag and then change into the clothes when I get within about 200-300 yards from my spot. Then I ditch the bag and change back out on my way out. Main reason is that Parka/vest coat gets really hot really quick.