Scariest sound in the woods?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ljbeast15, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Austin Streicher

Austin Streicher 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2010
    Fisherville
    Screech owl last year walking in the pitch black.

2. Tomslick

Tomslick Fawn

Dec 11, 2014
    Pensacola, for now
    Walking to my stand mid-day and noticed movement in the low growing ferns we have down here (Pensacola, FL).
    Figured it was an armadillo or possum until the little piglets moved into the open....then I heard the fudge making sound of a sow behind me! I didn't even think about trying to fight, I just dropped my bow and tried to climb a skinny pine tree like that rope hanging in gym class. It was so small that it was bending from my weight but I was 6 feet above momma and the babies and I loved that little tree!!!

3. huntergunner

huntergunner Spike

Nov 25, 2011
    two house cat in love I was 13 years old

4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

A bears death moan...even tho you know it may come after you shoot one the sound will get to you everytime. Listen at the end of this video. I had one do it within sight once, still made the hair on my neck stand up. Shot the one right at dark one night and it sounded like this one. Spooky sound when your way back in there in Canada's brush country all alone and got a mile walk back to the road to wait on outfitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEhzWC00IUE

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  5. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I had the coyotes come in yelping right after I had got down from bow hunting. They made it to about 20 yards of so and I was running back to my stand. I knew exactly what it was but with a bow in hand and several coyotes, it was a little concerning.

6. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    #1....bobcat scream
    #2....barred owl scream
    #3....my belly churning after I realized I didn't pack any toilet paper.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  7. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    The scream of a rutting Bigfoot...., especially if he is trying to mate with a black panther.

8. Tilster

Tilster Spike

Feb 12, 2012
    This is long but a true story, so bare with me...Two years ago, I started having to travel to Evansville for work, two weeks per month. Soon after, I discovered the Sloughs WMA outside Henderson, and decided to try and find a place there to bow hunt the afternoons to pass the time away from home.
    I chose an area, and began scouting it out. As I was walking through the woods, I noticed a pile of limbs standing on end, leaned up against each other, much like a teepee. Obviously man made, I thought nothing of it other than a resourceful hunter's makeshift blind. Eventually, I found an area with good sign, chose a tree, and locked my climber to it for the next time I'd be able to hunt.
    Some time over the next week or two, I found myself watching that "Finding Bigfoot" show for the first time, and they start showing these teepee like structures in the woods! Looked EXACTLY like what I saw that day! I shared this with a close friend of mine whom I had given the GPS location of my stand to, (since I was hunting by myself in an unknown place). Not taking any of this seriously, we joked about me having to share the woods with a Bigfoot.
    Now...I finally get the chance to get back out there for an evening sit. I get all settled into my tree, that's right on the edge of this drainage creek that's about 10 ft wide and full of water. As daylight is almost faded, I start to gather my things to climb down. Then, all of a sudden, I hear this loud knock on wood sound very close by! I decided to sit back down and listen to figure out what on earth it was. A few minutes pass and the woods is utterly silent. I'm a little uneasy at this point, so I decided to go ahead and climb down and get the heck out of there. As I'm lowering my bow, I hear this loud thud as something hits the ground a few yards away. My first thought was that it sounded like a big rock was being thrown at me. Then I hear another "rock" flying through the air, bumping tree branches as it travels, until it lands...splush...into the creek next to me. And then another. By this time, I'm so freaked out, I've got my pistol out and my flashlight on scanning around me. I see nothing and so I yell out into the dark woods, "Who's there?! I have a gun and I will use it!!" Nothing...
    I sat there for several minutes petrified. I begin trying to reason with myself that I'm just letting my imagination get the best of me. But couldn't come up with a logical explanation for what I had just witnessed.
    I decide I've got to make a run for the truck, which was almost a quarter mile away. I climbed down as fast as I could, grabbed my bow, and took off for the truck with pistol in hand. I didn't even take the time to lock my stand back up. As I finally get near the truck, I give one more look behind me with the flashlight to make sure nothing is following me. That's when I hear this awful and eery sound. It sounded just like pigs squealing! My entire body immediately shivered with goosebumps. (Even as I type this, the hair on my neck is standing up).
    That night, I immediately began researching everything I could find about Bigfoot. I read other "eyewitness" accounts consistent with every one of the things I had just experienced. Tree knocks, throwing stones, even the pig squeal sound. Up until now, I've shared this with only a couple of close friends, because of how crazy it sounds. And I'm not saying that I did or didn't have a Sasquatch encounter. But I can say without a doubt, I have never had a more terrifying experience in my life than that night!
    Feels good to get that off my chest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Probably was scary, and probably was someone messing with you.

10. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County

Did bigfoot steal your stand since you didn't lock it up?

11. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Rifle shots are the only thing that scares me at night...

12. Joe Bryan

Joe Bryan 8 pointer

Jul 4, 2006
    Nelson County
    Picture this, you are turkey hunting, been working a bird for about an hour. Then there is silence for about 20 minutes, at that time you hear a loud distinct PUTT PUTT PUTT behind you! That is when you know the hunt is officially over!!!!:mad:

13. Tilster

Tilster Spike

Feb 12, 2012
    Haha...I went back a few days later during broad daylight and got it. Haven't been back since. I know I sound crazy and the more time goes by, the crazier I feel. But it was the first and only time I have ever been genuinely terrified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    you should seriously contact that show called finding bigfoot......they will come and check it out.......maybe it was your buddy playing games with you....LOL......just kidding.....sounds like a scary stinking moment.....glad you made it out in one piece!!!! The only thing that makes me think it was someone messing with you is they quit throwing rocks when you said you had a gun........

15. Huntaholic

Huntaholic 6 pointer

May 2, 2002
    All these things yall say scare you, only make me feel alive! Sure there have been times when I was a kid and in the dark that things have scared me. Once i figured out what they were, they dont even get my attention anymore. Coyotes, coons, foxes, cattle, hogs, cats, etc.... aint none of them out to get you! Ive heard the death moans of bear, made me sad, not scared. Sounds like someone dying to be honest. Ive killed bear on the ground before with a bow. Ive waded right in amongst wild hogs before and shot them with a bow. Ive climbed out of my stand before bearhunting in Canada with only a xbow into a pack of 4 wolves that were within 20 yards of me. Ive bloodtrailed gutshot bear in the dark with just a flashlight. I could tell you a bigfoot story that made me LMAO about one of those "research teams". Ive been told by a few people that I have a deathwish, I dissagree, I just like the rush that comes with doing these things! Sooner or later, yeah, I may get "got" but until then I know Im alive! About the only thing that really scares me is a rattler that I havent seen yet. That one gets me every time. Id honestly rather take on a bear or a hog or sasquatch as to be bit by a friggin snake!