Scariest sound in the woods?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ljbeast15, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    I'm going with when you hear a walnut clanging off limbs above your head.

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

My wife standing at the top of the ridge screaming for me while I am in stand because I forgot her sister's birthday dinner.

3. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 10 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Once while bow hunting in a treestand and strapped in I felt sleepy and closed my eyes.It was quiet and calm and I was mellow.When on the other side of the tree a woodpecker decided to his best imitation of a 223 rifle unloading a magazine. THANK GOD I HAD A HARNESS ON.

4. mattdbns07

mattdbns07 6 pointer

Sep 10, 2007
  5. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    im going to say probably me screaming for dear life when I looked up in the dark cuz I heard a noise and something fell on my face. I was about 15. was a squirrel. my dad came rolling in 60 mph on the atv to check on me. now that I'm a father I'm going to say this must be the scariest thing a father could hear. he said it took his breath away and he thought I fell out of my tree stand.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  6. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    A rattlesnake's rattle when you do NOT see it...

7. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    Was setting in the stand a half hour before daylight and my phone vibrated. I answered and it was a guy with Freddie Kruger voice saying he knows where I am and what I am doing. I'd say he had the wrong number, but scared me to death for about a week.

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    .22 round whizzing between the small deer beneath my stand and my body. Sometimes bow hunting in Sempt is more dangerous that gun hunting in November.

9. RICO

RICO 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2008
    Wifes Chit List
    Had a big red headed woodpecker fly in once just at daylight, heard the sound of it fly in, slowly turned to look and I was eyeball to eyeball with the thing on the side of the tree. Left an oil stain in my drawers.

Also had an owl fly by once about 6 foot in front of me with NO sound at all just it flying and yeah that was another oil stain.

10. therookie

therookie 8 pointer

Aug 24, 2012
    I still remember the first time I heard a group of turkey fly to roost pretty close. I had no idea what was going on and it puckered me up a little.

11. deerturkey14

deerturkey14 6 pointer

Oct 29, 2012
    Louisville
    I would have to say the scariest sound would be when you hear and see some bushes moving and you aim you rifle about the height of where a deer's vitals would be and when you pull the trigger you hear someone hell "HEY!!!! WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?"
    Just joking but I would have loved to see your face when you read this. Bad joke but I had to do it.

12. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2011
    Carlisle county, KY
    I have to agree with the guys that say the absence of sound is the scariest thing. One time bow hunting some public land up in the land of Lincoln I walked up on a dark form. When I saw it I was within about 30 yards of it and didn't have my flashlight on. I stopped expecting someone to say hi or anything. Instead it turned and walked away and didn't make a sound walking through the fall leaves. I stood there frozen trying to figure out if it was a rude hunter or what. I watched it walk around the bend in the path and started cautiously following it. After making it around the bend myself and seeing nothing below on the trail I decided to take the long way out rather than find out what it was up close and personal. Never heard a car start up, never heard a car door, nothing. It was the quietest evening in the woods I have ever seen. We joked for years about me seeing the Big Muddy monster. Always hated walking into the woods carrying nothing but a bow after that....there just isn't a good way to defend yourself with a bow!
    Same piece of public land I used to get trapped in my treestand from time to time by packs of coyotes. Never really scared me but with nothing more than a bow and a maglight I wasn't going to climb down and see how they react. Had some birds come buzzing past way too close when I was up in the treestand that sounded like 747's trying to land on my head. I am noticing a pattern here....bow hunting apparently makes me jumpy. Guess having a loaded firearm is a pretty good security blanket!

13. scrape

scrape 8 pointer

Jul 24, 2003
    Manchester, ky.
  14. Whitetail Shed-dar

Whitetail Shed-dar 8 pointer

May 31, 2008
    Georgetown
    Bobcat for sure! I thought my buddy was murderin his wife! Sound jus like a woman screamin!

15. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I've got 2 and can't decide which was worse. My wife and I went to the movies and saw a doubleheader of the 1st and 2nd Friday the 13th movies. The next morning I walked to my tree and climbed up about an hour before dark. If you remember those movies, Jason lived in an old shed or house in one of the movies. Well this farm had a building just like that up the hill from my tree. I never was so happy to see a sunrise in my entire life as I was that morning. I just knew that every critter that was walking below me that morning in the dark was Jason stalking me! The 2nd was the 1st time I ever heard the sound of a woman screaming help as I was walking pre-dawn to a squirrel hunt when I was 18 and had no clue that any animal could make sounds that convincing. I still don't like that sound but at least now I know it's not a woman screaming.