Scariest sound in the woods?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ljbeast15, Oct 8, 2014.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Sitting on the ground freaks me out. If I'm in a stand and hear stuff on the ground I'm like no biggie, but if I'm at ground level...freaks me out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    This is too funny......all of us supposed to be rough an tumble guys on here saying what scares us........but it's true.......when it's dark it don't take much to get the hair to stand up on the back of your neck....LOL!!

3. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    What's worse is when its a sound you aren't familiar with, the mind truly begins to wander

4. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

The unmistakable sound of a bullet tumbling through the treetops, followed by the report of the rifle. Woods critters don't bother me at all.

5. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    #1) Walking into a bunch of turkeys roosting on an old fence & having them burst out darned near in your face.

#2) Whatever the heck it was that came roaring & smashing thru the trees towards me a few years ago. Never heard anything like it before - sort of a combination of an elk bugling & a hog squealing and breaking branches and smashing trees as it went. Stopped just before it came out into the field I was watching from a tree stand & was silent a few seconds & then went back the way it came, squealing/roaring and smashing more stuff as it went. Husband heard it too & came running for my stand to make sure I was okay (and I was, just shaking too danged bad to climb down for a bit). This was just at dusk so we decided that was a good time to get out of the woods.... We went back the next day with the property owner & it looked like someone had floored a jeep through the woods where the sound was coming from. We followed a trail of smashed debris for about a quarter of a mile before it went off the property we were hunting... Neither of us had ever heard anything like that before & haven't since & it wouldn't bother me one bit to never hear it again!

6. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    I was walking to my stand one morning in the dark and a large dead
    tree decided to fall just as I passed by it.It was a tremendous
    cracking sound and a crashing down to the ground.It was close enough that
    I felt the wind from the limbs.Scared the chit out of me....

7. kentuckyoutdoorsman

kentuckyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2011
    shepherdsville
    Either a pack of yotes while your gutting a deer at lbl and they keep getting closer, a flock of turkey's taking off in the dark. Or somthing walking around in the dark and all you can see are eyes

8. bowmaddnes

bowmaddnes 8 pointer

Sep 15, 2011
    Western Ky
    A pack of yotes will make the hair on anyone neck stand up, I don't care how big and bad you are. For me its any sound I hear that I am not familier with. Heard something last year on opening day, right around last light, that I have not and do not want to ever hear again. Still to this day it gives me the creeps. I can't even begin to describe what it sounded like.

9. CRIMSON TIDE

CRIMSON TIDE 6 pointer

Sep 15, 2014
    HOPKINSVILLE
    Bobcat scream every time

10. 13space82

13space82 6 pointer

Feb 5, 2008
    Paducah, Ky
    Walking to the stand one morning in the middle of a field I jumped a covy of quail and I almost had a heart attack. All i could see were shadows going thru my headlight.

11. zone1

zone1 8 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Heard a small fox that sounded just like a baby crying. I thought someone had left a baby in the woods. Another time I had fixed me a window seat in an old house to turkey hunt on rainy days. It had some old lumber stacked up and just enough room to get to the window. I walked in before daylight and a yote ran across the lumber and out the window. So close that I could smell it.

12. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    Yes, a fox scream sounds like a woman in a horror movie. It is a pretty wild sound.

13. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    usually I'm good to go in the dark woods, not had much bother me. Until this mornin. I was walkin up a draw headed to a stand. We bought a house 20 years ago off some folks who have now turned this farm into a horse boarding operation. I know there are horses all around but this mornin one went off on another horse with kind of a snortwheezecoughroarfart kinda horse thing about 50 yards away. I had to recollect myself for a few seconds after that..

14. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    That's the worse scare I ever had.

15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The scariest for me is when it's deathly quiet, the sun hasn't come up yet and nothing is moving then I hear my stomach start percolating the same way the coffee did I drank an hour before. Fear sets in and I panic. I'm strapped into a tree 15 foot up in the air with overalls over two layers of clothes. What do I do? Just shuck the safety harness and clothes as quick as possible and drop a deuce off the side of my stand and pray there's no back spray? Or try to beat the clock by unstrapping, climbing down, sprinting over to a brushpile and hopefully dropping my drawers in time before the mudslide hits? I opt for the later and actually make it.

My biggest fear is dropping a deuce in coveralls and then pulling them up only to find out I'm festering in my own filth. It gives me chills just thinking about it.