SBR's delayed....

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Steelsetter, Sep 24, 2014.

1. OUCH!

Got a letter from the ATF yesterday telling me I had to adjust my caliber for my Two (2) SBR's from "Multi caliber" to a SPECIFIC caliber.

Called them up today and LUCKILY I do not go to the back of the line after waiting Nine (9) months so far....

Lesson learned.

Maybe I will get stamps back by Christmas!

2. ducknbuckhunter

ducknbuckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 3, 2005
    Owensboro/Murray
    It's a crock of crap isn't it

3. YEP!!!!!!

No multi caliber upper switches....

Dang it!!!!!

4. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    If you were to make a .223/556 and then add a drop-in .22lr kit later, would you be ok or not?

5. From what they told me no.

But hell fire I thought writing in multi would be OK too!!!!!

Am doing a 9mm Olympic Arms shorty that takes Glock mags and a .223/5.56 that will both be suppressed.

Thought how cool if I could just swap out uppers for a different caliber and leave the shorty uppers at home.

Not going to happen!

Going to have to bite the bullet and make up a .300 or a .450 now I figure.

6. cobbhunts

cobbhunts 12 pointer

Mar 18, 2004
    richmond, ky, USA.
    Wait, what?? I was about to order an AR lower today marked multi. I can't do that now?

7. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    The lower can be marked "multi," you just can't list the caliber of the firearm as "multi" on BATFE Form 1. They want a specific diameter or chambering.

You can swap uppers on one as long as you can readily return it to the condition in which it's described on your submitted Form 1, unless you formally change that identifier with the BATFE.

Your remaining wait shouldn't be a whole lot longer. The fact that it was returned for corrections means that they're now working on yours in the queue.

8. Thanks for the input!

9. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Did you send off your paperwork or did you do the e-file? I'm eventually going to buy a silencer, but the waits are all over the place. I did see some getting their's in about a month using the e-file, but it sounds like the e-file system works about like you'd expect a government website to work.

10. I went the hard copy route.

My silencers took 14 months, the SBR's have appeared to go through in around 9.

Just wish I would have filled them out correctly and may have had my stamps back by the end of next month.

Was planning on not getting them until at least after January next year so maybe they are processing a tad faster now?

11. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Have you set up a Trust, or will the stamps be in your own name?

12. My name.

Looked into the trust route, but decided against it as I will only have a few NFA firearms/silencers.

13. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks for the response.

Working a deal on a 300 Blackout now, so was thinking about a suppressor, and which route to go.