SB 66 AN ACT relating to boating law enforcement.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ResidentCombo, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    What will happen is the same thing that is happening anyways. You're always going to have drunks and wrecks. However, I think MOST people are smart enough to know how to enjoy themselves without becoming a hazard to everyone else and don't warrant being treated like criminals for wanting to have a relaxing day on the water. If cops aren't eyeing me down with bino's on the road every time I pass them, why do CO's need to do it one the water?

What I want to know is why there are 4 CO's on tiny Herrington lake during the day on the weekends, but they hightail it it out of there when the sun goes down? All the tournaments start at 7:30, some with over 100 boats. That's when the REAL partying starts on the lake and people get REALLY messed up. It seems like CO's would want to be out at that time if we really need to be saved from ourselves and have ANY interest in enforcing fishing laws. They don't for whatever reason. My house looks over the dock where the keep their boats. I've watched it for years, and it makes no sense.

2. Moc'sin

Moc'sin Spike

Feb 27, 2010
    Kentucky
    Here are some numbers I was able to come up with. This is for the entire state for 2013:
    Boat inspections: 28,500 +- Citations issued: 1800 +-
    Fishing checks: 69,700 +- Citations issued: 2800 +-
    Hunting checks: 25,500+- Citations issued: 2000+-
    WMA violations: Could be hunting / fishing: 470 +-
    Roughly 95,670 hunting / fishing checks during the year. Roughly 5,270 citations issued.
    Boating had 28,500 checks w/ 1800 citations.
    Considering there is probably a bigger chance of contacting more boaters than hunters / fishermen, it looks like the CO's were working the hunting / fishing side pretty well too. 3 times as many hunting / fishing checks than boating checks with almost 3 times as many hunting / fishing citations issued. Also have to consider that some of the boat inspections / citations are for fishermen and their boat equipment.

3. ResidentCombo

ResidentCombo 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2006
    I will try to explain this as it was explained to me by our local CO..

According to the last page of the plan issued in 2006 http://fw.ky.gov/Enforcement/Documents/lestrategicplan4.pdf 40% of the money for Law Enforcement comes from recreational boating. This is money gained after the 1995 merger when the 137 CO's of FW absorbed Water Patrol to have a combined force of 181 CO's in both 1997 and 1998 according to the KSP Annual Report http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/data.htm

Since the recreational boating season in KY is traditionally the 14 weeks (27% of the year) between Memorial Day and Labor Day, the Coast Guard Grant based on the number of registered boats in KY is very important.

Why? Because 40% of the bills are being paid by 27% of the time. This money pays them to check Fishing, Waterfowl Hunting, Trapping, and squirrell hunters when they are in boats all year long, as long as they do a boating safety check while they are there .

Factor into this equation that their are 47 less CO's in the field as of the 2012 report, but i doubt the total number of KFW employees has dropped. Especially in view of the chart in the back of the last hunting guide which shows Law Enforcement now gets 3% less of the total funds within the Dept.

Basically, 2 of the 5 work days in a week and more than 40% of the clothes the CO is wearing, Truck they are driving, gas they are burning in their vehicle, equipment they are using, and probably all of the boat they are in is paid for by boating money.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I think if you take in account that there are far more hunters and fisherman than recreational boaters AND the fact that recreational boating is really only 1/4 of the year, the numbers begin to tell a different story. I wonder, how many hunters are visually inspected 2 or 3 times each time they good afield? Also, I have doubts that F&W keep records for every interaction CO's have with boaters (or hunters and fishermen). It is a summer past time of mine to watch the CO's work the lake below my house, and I don't recall ever seeing them record anything or radio anyone every time they question a boater. I'll be sure and check this year. That said, why do you think the CO's leave the lake before tournaments start if they are more worried about fisherman?

5. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Which makes it all the more puzzling as to why they would want to harass their "bread and butter" if those numbers are accurate. Aside from being an important revenue stream for F&W, boaters are the lifeblood of many of the towns around the lakes.

6. crestliner200

crestliner200 6 pointer

Sep 5, 2008
    A Hunter Hunter.
  7. Moc'sin

Moc'sin Spike

Feb 27, 2010
    Kentucky
    As far as them leaving the lake, that's something you'll have to ask them or their supervision. I don't know. If you're curious,ask the officers why.

As far as them recording anything, have you ever seen a Trooper or Sheriff's deputy record anything? KSP releases a report each year with their info in it, calls/ complaints/ arrests/ etc. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean they don't do it. I've heard officers on the scanner talking to dispatch and giving their calls / logging them in before. They ( all officers) have to be accountable for their time, so there will be a log somewhere. KSP used to do it over the radio at the end of each shift, but they changed their radio system and we don't hear them anymore. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it don't happen. I've never seen a baby pigeon, but they have to be out there somewhere...unless they're born full grown.

"It is a summer past time of mine to watch the CO's work the lake below my house" (quote) But yet you complain about them watching boaters / fishermen in which it is their job to do in order to protect the resource. Next question: Why are they using binoculars? Probably so they can get a better look at the activity that is going on. Just like using your scope / binos to get a better look at a deer before you decide if it's the one you want. Not all fishermen / hunters are law abiding citizens. Some will lie to them about fishing / hunting.

Boating is done 1/4th of the year. 3 months?? Lets be realistic. As hunters/ fishermen, we use the lakes/ waterways 12 months of the year. So boating enforcement is done 12 months of the year. Waterfowl hunters / muskie & crappie fishermen / deer hunters use the waterways before / after the recreational boaters do. Yes, most of the recreational boating is done thru the summer- June-Aug. So, it seems it would be much easier to check a boater when you have hundreds/or thousands (depending on lake size) of them corralled on a lake than to find a hunter in the woods. If this were the case, shouldn't the boat check numbers have been much higher? A lot of fishermen don't come to the waterways of the summertime, just because of the recreational boaters. I don't fish of the summer. Don't like jet-ski's running around my boat. I go in the spring or fall.

I don't have the answers. Like your signature. What is written above is OPINION. And opinions are like feet...most people usually have a couple, and other than yours, everyone else's stinks. ;)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  8. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    It's pretty easy to avoid if you don't like it. Wrpteck is the kind of person who take kids to the Rock Quarry at Ky lake then is shocked by the loud music and drinking. Similar in my opinion in taking your kids to a bar for dinner.

9. BIGBADDAD

BIGBADDAD 10 pointer

Who, other than an artist photographer, takes black and white photos??? Musta used a $4 disposable camera from Dollar General!!

10. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.

No - I'm the kind of person who expects adults to act like mature and considerate people - not rude drunken slobs. If you wanna do that, do it where it doesn't bother anyone else. I know that being polite is a tremendous effort for most, and some don't even know the definition of the word. It's a sad state of affairs when you can't take your kids to the lake for an enjoyable and relaxing day without dealing with drunks. Specifically, drunks that think because they're on the lake, its somehow NOT a public place where other people are trying to relax.

That's the point - the lake is not a bar. Its a public place that's open for the enjoyment of everyone. Sadly, a large number of people seem to feel they can't have fun without consuming alcohol and/or acting like a moron.

As I said earlier, if you want to separate a section of the lake off so that idiots can behave badly and leave those of us who wish to relax alone - I'm all for it. Your analogy is incorrect - I don't go to bars with my kids, nor do I go anywhere that people act like idiots. It's one reason I haven't gone to a movie theater since 2005, and one reason I don't go to the lake anymore.

I get paid to deal with drunk and stupid - I don't do it for free or in my spare time.

11. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Thanks I did not know I assumed hunting and fishing license supported F&W this explains why they are on water patrol most of the time.

12. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville

13. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.

14. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Oh really?

Anyone see the irony here? So you can be a rude, inconsiderate, immature A-hole stone-cold sober, huh? I'll deal with the people who drink any day of the week over someone like you.

Question: what if you refuse a breathalyzer or other tests on the water? They can't take your license b/c one isn't required to drive a boat. I'm sure they can haul you off to jail but that's it, right? No effect on license or insurance?

15. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY

Where do you get off thinking everyone that drinks a beer on the lake behaves badly? You've made it sound like everyone that wants to drink a cold beer is some kind of punk that goes looking for trouble. If I didn't know any better, it almost sounds like you just don't like people that know how to have a good time, so you try to paint them out to be something they're not. If it's that bad on the lake, stay home and go to church or buy you your own secluded pond where you can not have to deal with other people.