Savage Rifles

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Mike Mcghee, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Mike Mcghee

Mike Mcghee Fawn

Feb 9, 2021
    Missouri
    Ive been shooting a savage rifle for about eight years now and I love it. I know savage had a bad name for awhile but they have really came around. They have been voted best shooting gun out of the box for a few years now.
    The accutrigger is a very nice crisp trigger and very easy to adjust. I bought a .308 caliber and its a tack driver.
    I know guns are like trucks everyone has there own personal favorite but for the money and what you get I think its pretty hard to beat a savage rifle I have sure been happy with mine.

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Last year’s court day I saw a man walking around with a savage high country in 6.5cm, It was a real sharp looking rifle. He wanted $600 for the bare rifle. I had encores on my brain and focusing on that but looking back I’m kicking myself for taking that deal.

JR in KY likes this.
  3. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Never once heard anyone complain about accuracy out of Savage rifles. Not saying they don’t exist. Just that they have by far less complaints than any Remington built in the last 20 years. Only complaint I can even remember is on the original 110’s kicking like a mule in the magnum calibers. I’m sure that rifle will carry you thru the end of times!

FOWLER2671 and jblack1 like this.
  4. Mike Mcghee

Mike Mcghee Fawn

Feb 9, 2021
    Missouri
    Those savage high countrys are nice looking guns to Ive got a buddy that has one he really likes it and its a 6.5 creedmore as well.

5. Mike Mcghee

Mike Mcghee Fawn

Feb 9, 2021
    Missouri
    Yea I owned a savage 110 back in the 80's and it was a 270 cal. and every time you pulled the trigger it felt like someone hit you in the shoulder with a sledge hammer. I said then I would never own another one but I'm glad I didn't stick to my guns on that one. Like I said they have came along way and I'm very impressed with mine I love it.

6. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
    I have a HR 17 my complaint is with magazine never sure it will reload or not gun is nice but this is junk and no replacement
    part available

7. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    barney likes this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    My buddy had a 110 chambered in .243 that would shoot a ragged hole with any ammo you put through it! He used it as a loaner for new hunter's because he was embarrassed to be seen carrying it.

Carl, RLWEBB and beauhunter41031 like this.
  9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    My .308 110 kicks harder than my .30-06 M77. Back before I lost them in that boating accident, anyway.

cdalle6, Tankt and predator1 like this.
  10. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    That’s been happening a lot, the lakes and rivers will be full. :)

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  11. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I bought an Axis less than 5 years ago. Accuracy is great. The fit and finish isn't great, but for a budget rifle it's hard to complain too much with some of that. I've had recurring issues with the extractor. I also had an issue in the bolt with the o-ring and spring. I believe I fixed the issues (twice with the extractor), so not really the end of the world. With that said, it's failed me in the field on a couple occasions with those issues so I don't use it as a hunting rifle anymore...more of a beater/truck gun.

12. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’ve got a savage 110 in .270. Had it since I was 16. I love it. I changed original stock out with a Boyd’s custom thumbhole. I don’t think it kicks but whatever. Killed a bunch of deer with it shooting corelokts. May have to change to Winchester this comin season though or maybe next. Don’t have but 1 box I think of corelokts left. Can’t findem. Been buying Winchester.

13. Buzzy

Buzzy 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Love savage. Have an axis .223 and I replaced the trigger spring now it’s a tack driver. Great yote gun. My .270 110 goes with me anywhere I’m allowed to hunt rifle. I also have a 1983 12 ga that I use for partridge.

14. KYLefty

KYLefty Fawn

Feb 23, 2021
    Meade
    338LM.jpg
    Reset the barrel using a go-gauge early on. This is why Savage is a go-to for me. I can do the work and not face a hefty gunsmith cost. Tightening up 'the gap' makes a big difference in brass-life. You save money anywhere you can shooting this one. Too bad it's so fun to shoot.

Had to replace the OEM aluminum rail with steel. This was a real problem and hard to pin down. Got my goat finding out Savage knew and didn't share that info. The aluminum rail is okay for up to .300WM. The .338LM makes micro-cracks in the alloy. After about 70 rounds your zero starts to wander and then you realize the rail has gone loose. I kept saying to myself, "I know I Loctited those screws."

I figured I'd have to replace the barrel by now, but I was wrong.
    Group.jpg

Ordered an Axis II in .308 back before Christmas. Should be here before the end of the month. Was hoping to hear if there was anything related to that model I'd need to get out in front of.

beauhunter41031 likes this.