Savage Axis

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Grago, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Was looking at a savage axis yesterday, cant seem to find exactly what i was looking at. It had a green stock , im thinking the girl said you could take, something in and out to change length or something, know it had a lot of pad on the back and some on top of the stock, and accu trigger was in 6.5 creedmore, anyone familiar , with that gun thanks.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Green stock or strata camo stock? Also what model Axis? The cheaper XP? Just an all green stock, I’m not sure. I own two Axis in black synthetic stock and I know they push the strata camo now (which is a lot of green).

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Ok. Just looked it up. You’re probably either talking about the Axis II XP or the Precision series. Both way nicer than what I got and a few owners on here can tell you they are nice guns.

4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    There’s so many variations of the Axis platform I can’t keep up with them all. I’m on familiar with the Axis II, black synthetic stock, stainless action and barrel. Got mine at Walmart in 2018. Can’t remember what I paid (it’s posted on here somewhere), but if I’m not mistaken after the rebate it was something like $225 or maybe even less. Anyway, I didn’t even mount a scope on it until about a month ago and only shot it about 2 weeks before season. Mines in 6.5 and it shoots wonderfully. It liked everything I shot in it which was Winchester Deer Season XP, Hornady ELDX, and Remington Core Lokt. The rifle has killed 2 deer this week. I’m definitely pleased with the purchase.

xbokilla likes this.
  5. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Thank yall , it is definately , just plain green stock , i havent been able to pull the exact gun up online. I would have to think it is a recent model, or even a new model, Im a remington man by heart, but they have got crazy, on prices, and a lot of places , wont do a lay away, while all is goin on. I know if you have to put something on lay away, you really cant afford it to start with. But this sickness put me in a position, if i wait till i can afford something, i wont ever get anything. I bought a ruger american, a couple years ago, in 22-250, it had what they called their heavy barrel on the predator model, ot had the accu trigger, in it. Since im a light trigger fanatic, i took the screw completely out, made a heck of a trigger, but first cold shot, everytime was 6 inches high to the left everytime you got it out. I know they are a pretty good gun, and people like them, but the one i had was just messed up. Im sure he is 50 to 75 higher on this axis than anyone else would be, but he does still offer 90 day lay away, and i kinda like the gun, may go back and see if i can find out exact model axis it is, thank yall again.

6. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Looks like this is a axis 2, apparently they added a adjustable stock, this year from what i can gather. I hear a lot of good things, about the 6.5 creedmore, if it ever gets to where a person can get ammo again, i appreciate yalls replies, what ammo , you guys liking best thanks.?

RLWEBB likes this.
  7. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Unless you’re a distance target shooter, a .270 will do just about anything a 6.5 will do and easier to find ammo.

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I got a Axis Creedmor I’ve never even shot. Bought 143 grain Hornaday to sight and use for hunting. I have no personal preference of shells just heard good things on the Savage/Hornaday combo. As far as CRFs, comments, I have a little NE single shot 270 and when I want to guarantee meat, it’s my go to. Now, my brother, has killed deer with his Howa 6.5 the last two years and swears if I ever get around to sighting in and killing a deer with mine that I won’t want to use anything else. BTW, Cabelas/BPS will have their cheap Axis XP packages on sale at midnight Friday (Thanksgiving) night. After all rebates will be $239. A good deal and that Weaver scope and rings isn’t as bad as everyone says for the money.

9. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Grago when I was sighting mine it shot the Remington Core Lokt 140 grain and the Hornady 143 grain ELDX equally well. I decided to hunt with the Core-Lokt and was very pleased with the results. A friend’s son killed his first buck with my rifle and the loads as well.

10. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I believe Rural King had the same gun on sale today.