Savage 24 Hammer Extension

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by KY Swamp Beagler, Oct 10, 2021 at 7:32 PM.

1. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    This is a long shot, but does anyone know what hammer extension will work on a Savage 24? I’ve tried two of the round extensions with no luck. They are too heavy for the hammer to fire the rounds. The hammer without an extension fires both barrels.

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Done a quick search came up with this

Attached Files:

bowhunter269 likes this.
  3. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ve used two of the HR extensions but the problem I’m running into is the round version is too heavy for the hammer to have enough force to strike the primers.

Yesterday, I shot it without the extension and both barrels fired. So it has to be the weight (I think). I remember seeing some older Marlin 336s that had a slim profile extension that was just a shelf to put your thumb on. I was thinking that might work.

I’ve searched the inter webs but can’t find a model number.

I’m trying to get me a squirrel dogging rig set up. My Savage is a .22 LR over 20 gauge with a Williams pep sight. I really like it but the hammer is stiff and unnerving to be honest.

4. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Could this be what you’re talking about

Attached Files:

5. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    That’s very similar. I found a used one on eBay but the bid went too high. I’m going to try that one. I’ve got a Marlin 30AW I can put it on if it doesn’t work.

The thing about the Savage 24 hammer is it changed some over the years. Mine is a pre-serial number model.

Thanks Dark Cloud!

Dark Cloud likes this.