Savage 111 trophy hunter HELP

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by BucksandFish, Sep 15, 2019.

1. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    As almost all reviews say I'm having trouble with grouping because of rings and or bases. I've ordered and tried 2 rail bases. Savage Axis from Amazon and Weaver 413 from Ky. Gun company. The Weaver 413 is what their book says fits but it sets way too high on the stock end. Once I pulled it down with the screws it literally had a curve to it.
    Question, are the 2 piece bases it came with fine and the only problem is the combo rings or do I need to change bases and rings. Question 2, is it always better to use a weaver or picatinny rail or will 2 piece bases fine? Also do you guys always use Loctite on screws or just a good cleaning before mounting the scope?

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I'd recommend Talley mounts. They're one piece ring/base. They really solid everything up nice and gives me confidence in my setup. And I use blue loctite on everything.

3. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    I ordered Weaver 6 screws bases and got them today. My gunsmith said they are as good as you get at a decent price. I ordered the Weaver 413 rail at the same time. I was hoping to get a rail somewhere close if possible but I don't know what to get that will fit if you can't go by Weaver's book. I don't mind to order again but I want information from someone who has been through this and knows what to get before I order again. I can't stand the return procedures of most places.

4. 454Casull

454Casull 6 pointer

Oct 20, 2006
    Woodford County
    I like the EGW rails with the Burris Zee Signature rings. From the comments about the curve in the base after installing, it sounds like you have a flat back action, which requires a different base. If you could post some pics, that would help.

Amanda_M and YoteFinder like this.
  5. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    DNZ gamereapers I use nothing else for hunting rifles. Held up to the 7RUM with near max loads for several years now along with .243win, .270win, 6.5cm, .50 MUZZ.

6. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    So I'd first make sure all of your screws are tight--including the bases. I had a Savage 110 that I had trouble grouping. I was just about to write it off as a non-shooter and figure out how I can get rid of it, but decided to strip it down first and make sure there were no issues. Before that, I had checked the ring screws numerous times and they were tight each time. But when I stripped it down, I found the base screws were loose. I couldn't see or feel any movement in them when I manually tried, but it also doesn't take a lot of movement to be off 5-6 inches on the target. Once I tightened them down and put it all back together, it's been my best shooter.

When I did put it back together, I did use either blue loctite or nail polish (I don't remember which) to lock the screws down. And now I do that to every new gun before I even shoot it.

Edit to add: This was with factory rings and bases. I've upgraded the scope, but I've kept the rings and bases.

7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The two piece bases will be fine that came with it! Get some rings and shoot it, I don't loctite mine and have never had a issue even on my 300 WeatherBug, but I can see issues trying to change it someday.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Not tryin to butt in on your grouping issues and different mounts. Nor am I implying you don’t know this already.

But two things to mention... one is your groups are only as good as the ammo your using. Specifically bullet weight vs. the twist rate of the barrel.

Which I’ve got a few rifles of different calibers ( mostly 30 cal & above) that have slower twist rates and won’t group light grain weight bullets for crap. Then I have some lower calibers that’s just the opposite with fast twist rates and they absolutely love the lighter grain weights. So... knowing your twist rate and a little research goes a long way in getting tighter groups.

The other is cleaning..... especially a new rifle right out of the box. I’ll also add if you have ran several rounds through it already... don’t overlook lead build up or copper fouling. Which both can give you some fits with groups regardless. A brush scrubbing with a good bore solvent can do wonders.

Good luck.

riverboss, Tufrthnails and model70 like this.
  9. BucksandFish

BucksandFish 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2012
    E-town
    My 111 is a round back reciever. The Axis base is wrong size in every way. The weaver 413 they sold me was a flat bottom rail. Even the Weaver book called for that part but the package said, pre '03. Which means before Accu trigger. The 111 is a Accu trigger is a round back reciever long action. After hours of looking on YouTube and gun parts websites I found a Weaver 99493 rail. It is a round bottom rail for a long action Savage. If USPS gets it here Friday like it's scheduled we'll all know for future post questions. My reloads and cleaning the bore should solve any other problems. Thx everyone

10. YoteFinder

YoteFinder Fawn

May 30, 2019
    Hidden Holler
    I use the same setup on all my rifles EGW rails and burris signature zee rings.

Amanda_M likes this.
  11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I stripped down my Savage 111 out of the box and reinstalled everything with blue loctite and have had no issue whatsoever. It does take about 100 rounds to get it to group better. Between 150 and 180 grain bullets, I found zero difference besides the drop.

12. savagehunter

savagehunter Fawn

May 28, 2019
    glasgow ky
    leupolo the one and only one rings and bases

13. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    The son's Y11 (youth model) redfield bases and rings and Leupold scope no problem.

I put redfield bases and rings and Redfield 2x7 revolution scoe on the wife's LH axis zero issues.

Make sure to always clean screw holes out good and use blue loctite.