Sauger

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Redlined, Nov 14, 2021.

1. zone1

zone1 8 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Walleye and sauger are at the top of my list to eat.

invasion36 and Gforcetrivers like this.
  2. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Either way,we ended up with walleye fillets for dinner. I pulled some out of the freezer early Sat morning for a plan B. Glad I did....

carnivore and Little FR like this.
  3. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Walleye liver? Enquiring minds want to know?

Little FR and Gforcetrivers like this.
  4. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Years ago I fished with some folks that had a place on Harstens Island in MI on the St Clair River. They always had a chest freezer full of walleye. They didn't waste anything. You would think and most people who manage to harvest big numbers of anything that they would take the prime parts and discard the rest. But that was not the case. I have seen guys kill limits of pheasant, ducks and doves and just keep the breasts as an example. I think its more cutting corners than intentional arrogance. Maybe its ignorance that they don't know how to prepare certain parts IDK. I digress...yes walleye livers are edible.

bondhu likes this.
  5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Same with geese and turkey. Most just breast em out. And I'm ok with that. I choose to part em up and put the parts in the crock pot. Make soup or stew or pot pie in the end. Use the breast separately. Now and then I will deep fry a turkey. I still think that's the best way to cook turkey, cept I love dressing. Stuffing is ok but dressing rocks!

bondhu, Gforcetrivers and Little FR like this.
  6. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    So it can be prepared like any other kind of liver ? I just have never heard of fish liver being used.

Gforcetrivers likes this.