Sauger??

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by deerjw, Oct 2, 2011.

1. deerjw

deerjw 6 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Henderson, KY
    Just wondering if anyone has tried below any of the dams yet for sauger. It's always a tough decision this time of year....go bow hunting or sauger fishing. The good thing though is there isn't a wrong answer!

2. anvil

anvil 6 pointer

Sep 27, 2009
    I have not been in 20 years but I'm iching to go. I didn't go last year because the water was a mess pretty much all year and my boat isn't that big but I'm going this year come hell or high water.

3. taxidervin

taxidervin Spike

Sep 20, 2002
    Water temps are too warm yet. In about 2 weeks and right water conditions they should be moving up below the dams.
    Dave

4. coolersnapper

coolersnapper 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2009
    northern ky
    The big ones are hard to find, but they are below the dams. The hybrids should keep you busy if the sauger won't cooperate.

5. Pat

Pat 6 pointer

May 7, 2009
  6. coolersnapper

coolersnapper 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2009
    northern ky
    grouser, just being nosey, or nose-ee. Do you pitch from the bank or are you fishing out of a boat?

7. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    saw a bunch of guys lined up on the bank at markland dam when I left sunday from deer hunting. All were in a popular sauger spot. Gonna try thanksgiving weekend if the water is good.

8. barmstrong

barmstrong 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    hey whitley... when did u go across the dam? i was down there from 7a to about 8a or 830... it was my friend and i and two other guys.. nobody was catching sauger but was catching hybrids.. u get any big deer up this way??

9. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    Grouser68 how about posting some pics. I would love to see some of the fish you guys are catching.

10. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    Great pics bud, thanks for posting them!

11. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Sorry i didnt get back on here earlier. we went over the dam about 2:30pm there were several people down there. Looks like I need to get up there and catch some sauger from all the pics im seeing! wonder if they are still biting? anyone been to markland lately?

12. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Sorry i didnt get back on here earlier. we went over the dam about 2:30pm there were several people down there. Looks like I need to get up there and catch some sauger from all the pics im seeing! wonder if they are still biting? anyone been to markland lately?

13. whitleycotrapper

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    also plenty of big deer. I dont get two hung up on big ones though. especially since i had my two year old daughter with me. I shot a young six point and was perfectly happy with him and so was she!

14. Chops

Chops Fawn

Oct 29, 2011
    Anyone been fishing on the Kentucky River lately for sauger?

I was thinking about heading out tommorow and fishing around Lawrenceberg. But the gauge shows the river at almost 16 ft and 30k cfs. Well above the median flow of 10-12k cfs.

I'm just wondering if the river will be too high and muddy for any decent sauger fishing.

15. barmstrong

barmstrong 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    yeah we went to markland bout three weeks ago it was the highest i ever seen it.. it was bad lol didnt get a bite. but.... from the talk the guys working on the dam have been going over to the creek on ky side and getting their limit in like a hour.. been hitting good and hard over there! alot of my guys from work are going down friday 12-30 after work to see if they can bag some of them.. unfortunatley i cant make the trip i already made plans and gotta stick to theses this time!! lol plans suck! cancelled once already haha well good luck boys and tight lines! fish on!