Sandhill Movement

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
At barren river lake today at goose island getting some some drift wood to mount my Yote and bobcat on and sandhill cranes were everywhere. Some flying kinda low. Just took this pic but that wasn’t all them there was I’d say thousands that flew over while we were there I told wife here while back what they were when they was flyin over our farm she said geese I said no sandhill cranes well today I said looky there you know what them are she said geese I said hell no sand hill cranes done told you this she said oh ok lololol
4D4E8A3F-9FAD-457B-BC5D-EC70FC2CC23D.jpeg

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Yeah, they don’t taste like any bird you have ever eaten. They are grain eaters and you can tell.

I believe that they are opportunistic feeders, eating more than just grain.

https://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/sandhill-cranes/

I have never eaten one but have heard they taste anywhere from pork chop to rib eye. Imagine such depends much upon how prepared, while also much upon what one prepared primarily consumed. Only one way to know for sure..

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
Just drove by a cut cornfield on Cumberland parkway and sand hills all over. A bunch. Never seen them there before and I’ve been traveling it for 7 years.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
Drove all around barren yesterday and saw none. Single flew over the house an hour or so ago. Never seen a single all by itself before.

We that a "Petey"! You don't see em cause like a single goose most times, you kill em!

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
Do be careful with crane ID. I saw three mature Whoopers in West Ky the other day Pure white except for wing tips and easy ID but the immature greys could accidentally be confused with Sandhills.