Sandhill Crane

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Snareman2, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    I got lucky enough to get drawn for two Sandhill Crane tags, just need a place to go and make a connection twice to fill my tags. Any pointers or help is appreciated. Anybody have any good contacts. Thank you!

2. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a hospital
    I live on barren and a place to hunt is hard to come by. Good luck. Do a search on here for similar posts. There are a million

3. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Funny thing happened this morning...
    Sandhill Cranes heading south. You'd need a SAM to reach em though.
    Sorry for the crappy video. I was hanging out of my blind upside down. Not an easy task...lol. Tried zooming, but really wasn't prepared for them. Wish the audio was better, but you can still hear them. A mile up and sounded like they were right behind me!

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  4. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Thank you Killroy, I’ll try to research it. I appreciate the post.

5. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I had about 40 of them flying over my house last week. They were just flying in circles like they didn't really have anyplace to be.

6. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 10 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    They’re riding the thermals to conserve energy. Saw a ton coming through southern Indiana last week

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    This is why I don't put in. Really nowhere I can hunt them.

8. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Funny! Today while deer hunting out of my blind I could hear them for close to an hour off and on. I would stick my head out of the blind every now and then to see where they were. Never did see them it sounded like they were directly overhead.

9. Not sure where you are located. I live in Barren County, like Kilroy said you will find it very hard to get permission on feeds or really anywhere in general. Your best bet would get permission on areas close to the feeds and pass shoot. Shitty way of doing it, but you gotta take what you can get. You could go crazy and buy decoys and try to set them down on some public land that isn’t refuge. Easier said than done.

Attached Files:

Snareman2 and Rod S. like this.
  10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I hunted a buddy’s farm this morning close to park city for coyotes and bout 10 minutes into calling with pupscreams a bunch of sand hill cranes were flying over. I’m talking a bunch. Then out of nowhere 4 dropped down and was within shotgun and circled around 3 times. Then got higher and finally filtered off.

Grago, Snareman2 and ATM17 like this.
  11. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Thank you Guys! They are neat birds!

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  12. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Many in Florida, where they are protected, refer to them as pests. If they were smart, they would simply remove their bird feeders, but they fail to do so, and the monsters tear things up, while making their way from one yard to the next yard, unless they walk across a street and are hit by a car. That is a big problem, becoming even worse.

13. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    You sure that's Sandhills??

14. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I think so, but I could always be wrong. We have so very many birds that it is ridiculous. I pay more attention to the ones at the surf, quite honestly. Maybe go onto Florida FW and see what they say.

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Sandhill-Crane.jpg
    I'm sure I haven't frequented Florida as much as yourself, but I've been there likely more than you've been here. I've never seen a Sandhill in Florida, and seriously doubt a pair or flock of them to bounce around from feeder to feeder. I could be dead wrong, on all accounts, however. These were picking at bird feeders?