Safety Harness question?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kissey_branch_hunter, Nov 15, 2011.

1. kissey_branch_hunter

kissey_branch_hunter 6 pointer

Sep 18, 2008
    Of those of you that use a safety harness, how many of you use a system that keeps you attached on both your ascent and descent (something like the HSS life line)? I'll be honest, I only hunt out of ladder stands and don't currently use a harness, but reading all these fall stories has me ordering a system tonight! I'll always feel most vulnerable while ascending and descending, so I'm thinking i want the HSS life line. Anyone use it?
    Thanks

2. sbracken

sbracken 6 pointer

Nov 20, 2007
    I use a Tree Lounger. When climbing or descending, I attach my harness to the stand itself (the upper part). If you know the Tree Lounger, you know it almost can't fall the way it is designed. Before turning and either stepping out on the bowhunter platform or sitting in the seat, I attach my harness to the tree using another strap. I need the extra strap to give me the mobility to stand out on the end of the platform. When I am sitting in the stand, I feel very safe. When standing, I do feel vulnerable, like even if I fall and get saved by the strap, I'm still going to have to deal with some pain. I never used to use a harness at all. I am a big guy, and they don't fit me well. They are awkward and inconvenient. But I'm afraid if I don't wear one, I might survive a fall and have to live with horrible injuries. I hunt high, too -- above 30' sometimes. I always wear one now.

3. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    Get a rescue one

4. kissey_branch_hunter

Sep 18, 2008
    Not sure what that is, can you provide a link so I can see? Thanks

5. Jerod

Jerod 10 pointer

Oct 30, 2008
    KY
    Go to google or YouTube and type in rescue one safety harness. Vids everywhere

6. hook

hook 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    South Central, Ky
    I only hunt from ladder stands now but I always wear a harness just incase. I had a terrible fall about 15 years ago where the chain broke on a loc on and I had several injuries. After surviving that I've worn one ever since, no matter what kind of stand I'm in.

7. Herby

Herby 6 pointer

Nov 13, 2011
    I got a pretty nice harness last year out at bass pro. Its fairly comfortable as well and hasnt given me many real problems. It's by HSS and ran me about a hundred bucks.

In a conversation with my uncle this came up last weekend. It went something along the lines of

Uncle:"Those harnesses really are pretty nice though."
    Me: "Yeah they are actually pretty comfy too believe it or not."
    Uncle:"I imagine they aren't if you're hanging from a tree though"
    Me:"Yeah but the smack of a 15-20 foot fall isnt very comfortable either."

When ya think of it in these terms it becomes a no brainer. I don't like wearing seatbelts but in the event I get in an accident I'd much rather not go through the windshield. Same premise.

8. kyblackmallard

kyblackmallard 10 pointer

Sep 18, 2006
    I used the harness that came with my stand,and it saved me when the straps holding my stand broke two weeks ago. I was 20' up and the strap caught me after about a 4ft fall. I fell hard enough I popped all the double stitching in the lanyard on my back. I am about 5' 8" and 215lbs. I have had a little soreness in my left shoulder and right neck area but nothing like I would have had if I had fell all the way to the ground. Ladder,climber,hangon whatever you are hunting out of you need to wear one. It saved me and allowed me to take a buck last thursday. Put them on and if you don't have one go get one NOW!

9. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Im not sure what type of stand you use? I use a climber & attach to the tree as soon as as step on. Then I simply move the strap as high as I can each time I move up.

10. bowcrazy3

bowcrazy3 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2009
    Same here.

11. kissey_branch_hunter

Sep 18, 2008
    Yep, ordered one last night, it'll be here Monday....thanks

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  12. B.G.O. of Kentucky

B.G.O. of Kentucky 12 pointer

Nov 19, 2002
    Louisville, Ky, USA.
    This is the first year I have used it while climbing, and as 8&sand said, I just slide it up and down the tree as I move. I have the Muddy Outdoors harness from Basspro. I have wore one for years, but I tried it on a few weeks back and I couldn't even tell it was on.

13. KYDEERCHASR

KYDEERCHASR 10 pointer

Aug 29, 2005
    marion county
    I do the same thing. Moving mine up as i go. The same way coming down. Come down a few feet and lower the strap. Pretty simple. Be safe guys. Its not worth taking a chance.

Remember....its not the fall that hurts. Its the sudden stop.

14. kissey_branch_hunter

Sep 18, 2008
    I only hunt ladder stands, so I ordered the HSS Life Line so I'll be connected before i leave the ground.