sad day at my house

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by chasinhornsnfans, Jul 2, 2009.

1. chasinhornsnfans

chasinhornsnfans 6 pointer

May 16, 2008
    marion county
    our family dog ( gracie ) a golden retriever died this afternoon. for the past few days she hasnt ate or drank anything, just layed around, and throwing up clear mucus. so today i got home from work i picked her up and put her in the truck to go to the vets. she raised her head once going there. vet said probably best to put her down, so we decided to do so. by the time we got out to the truck with the shot, she had died. my kids are sad, my wife is sad and now i am sad.

so maybe in a few weeks i might try and get me a pup. any good ideas on a family dog that is good with kids?

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Sorry to hear your family's loss.

As for what type dog to get? You had a great breed in the Golden for a family, hard to beat them as a pet. I like all the "feather" dogs for family dogs.

3. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    That stinks!!
    We lost our family Boxer (actually my parents, but I picked her out)
    She passed away last Saturday.
    11 years old.

Boxers are great dogs.

4. Sorry for your loss! I hate to hear that. The previous two dogs mentioned are great, of course any kind of lab, a chesapeake bay retriever, or beagle are all dogs worth looking at as well. Again I'm sorry for your loss. Any ideas on what might of caused her to get sick like that?

5. ky_bull

ky_bull 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2005
    Washington County
    Sorry to hear that. Love my lab and german shepherd.

6. lady estrus

lady estrus 6 pointer

Aug 31, 2008
    Ky
    Sorry for your loss. We have a bull mastif that will be 11 years old in November, we have had him since he was six weeks old. He cant hardly hear and he limps when he walks. We keep him in the house in the winter.
    We took him to his yearly visit to the vet a few months back and she did x-rays and said that he has artheritis between his lower vertebra and told us that it is pretty bad and said eventually it will paralize him.
    He has been a great dog and we love him. Dont want to see that day come but its probably going to be sooner than later.:(

7. Sorry for the loss of your family pet. I love my labs.

8. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    Sorry for you loss, we lost our dog back in Feb,she was one month shy of 16. You may want to ease in on the new pup thing, talk it over with the wife first before springing it on the kids, you never know how they'll react. Just a thought

9. bowhunter08

bowhunter08 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2007
    Paris, Ky
    Sorry for your loss. Don't know what I would do without mine sometimes, she is almost like another kid around the house.
    As far as what breed, I myself am a beagle fan, they are very loyal dogs, and every beagle I have ever owned have been great with kids.

10. Yes, you want an excellent dog with kids...Get a boxer, and please if you do don't have it's ears cut...You can't believe the pain these dogs go thru for this ear cutting to be done....

11. Chasinhorns.........I feel for you and your kids. I posted mine after you did yours cause Ineeded all to know what a great dog I had. I hope your girl was half the dog mine was. If so, it was a great dog. And to answer your question..You KNOW you must get another Golden. You will never find a greater dog. God Bless you all.

12. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Chasinhorns,sorry you lost such a great dog.Heres a pic of a male named Connor .He belongs to the farmer who lives at the back of our hood.Connor comes up every evening to play and get rubbed by the kids and everyone.Everybody in the hood knows him,and you and 12pt.know that they are wonderful dogs.Connor is a big old baby,and doesnt have a mean bone in his body.Sorry both of you lost such great dogs.

[​IMG]

13. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    These really bum me out! You have my most heartfelt sympathys! You will see your best friend again!