#'s of kills and sightings

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by yotekiller, Feb 18, 2003.

1. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    I've been off here for a while and ka blaam,varmint board is smokin.Just wonderin the success rate of yal,times called vs. shots fired,east ky vs. west ky,etc.

Good to be back

2. Yotekiller, depends on where we hunt out west. I have seen places you can make 20 stands and you're lucky if you see 1 or 2. On the other hand I've seen places where you call in doubles triples and more on almost every stand. As far as the kill % goes, it depends on how you do it. When I was hunting competition, we'd get maybe 85 or 90 % of what we saw, that sounds real high to you I'm sure but it's how we did it. Good Hunting

3. Central Ky, 3 Kills, 4 Shots(all hits), 6 sighted, not bad for a newbie

4. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    No thats not bad at all,how many trips did you take?Alot of people are hushing up about this resource so it won't become a money grabbing scheme like our deer and turkey have become.

I'm just trying to get a little notion to whether the yote pop. and/or hunters are are increasing.Unlike deer and turkey they are open season and are not identified by kdfwr,heck i heard they had no clue as too the population other than they aint real good for the quail.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I've been lucky enough to get 4 coyotes so far this month, 2 were on the farms and 2 at LBL. I went to LBL several times in the snow and I was shocked to see as many coyote tracks as I did. I knew LBL had a good population of them but nothing like I saw, in some places the coyote tracks out numbered the deer tracks. About 20 guys from Perator Masters.com went to LBL for a weekend hunt and said the same thing, there were numberous tracks in every Area. I talked to the rangers there and there's a guy that has a trapping permit for 3 Areas in LBL and as of last monday he's taken 70 coyotes since Jan. 13. Several people told me that the dogs were being educated in LBL by road hunters, it truns out they drive the roads with their callers going full blast. Then when they get a coyote to howl back they try to set up on him.Talk about being lazy.

We've been seeing more coyotes at the farms in Livingston Co. Plus our turkey flock seems to be going down at the same time. Here's an example, we have two different winter flocks that goes into the fields every morning. One had 50 birds and the other had 35 Christmas morning. Since then the first has 42 and the second has 30 birds. We can't prove coyotes are getting them but is sure looks that way. They should be breaking up in a few weeks.

6. I just started this year and have got a few people hooked already.. I have been 5 times in the last few weeks and plan on hunting tuesday, since the storm front is movin through wendsday they should be feedin. one quick uneducated question, can yotes be trapped year round? I would say not cause of catchin other animals in the traps but I had a guy ask me at work and I did not have a real definate answer for him.
    Does anyone else outthere us Sceery calls? I bought a howler this week and am dyin to try it out. I ahve a Final Roost howler and it does OK but the Sceery is much much louder.

7. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    Mafia no you can't trap year round,or at least that is my uneducated thought.I never had any guidance in trapping but realize how much anticipation must build the night before,i love callin them in and then trying to get a shot,but really think i may be wasting the real thrill of settin a trapline and runnin it.From all i can tell it is second best to a man's pasttime(if you know what i mean).

I haven't hunted that much this year and was busted the few times i went,oh well it'll be spring and fishing season before long so i'm gonna respool and charge my batteries.Yotehuntin is addictive though ain't it?