S-10 truck

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by matewsq2, Jun 3, 2009.

1. I have a 88 S-10 that is getting gas an fireing but wont start an some times it will backfire thew the exshaust what is the problem with it?:confused:

2. sthrnkyhunter

sthrnkyhunter 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2007
    Glasgow,ky
  3. daking

daking 12 pointer

Dec 29, 2004
    unfortunately, it sounds like the timing chain jumped a tooth.

4. bowhunter08

bowhunter08 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2007
    Paris, Ky
    agree sounds like a timing issue to me also.

5. its a gear drive timeing that isnt supost to jump unless gears are striped.not saying its not jumped at the distribitor though

6. anything can wear. If someone has told you that a chain won't jump time, they don't know what they are talking about. Question??? Did this comeabout after shutting the vehicle off which was running fine then wouldn't start??? If so, that's because when the engine is turned off, there is a moment of potential slack between the crank and the cam. At that stopping point, With slack available, the jump occours. Curious to the answer of my question.

7. bunniebuster

bunniebuster 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2004
    winchester ky
    just got done changing the gears in a 85 with a 2.5, they do strip and its got to be pressed on and off of the cam with a arbor press.

8. Gear driven n an s-10, someone enlighten me on this. Chain and sprocket ia ALL I have seen in the 2.5 4 cylinder or 2.8 liter V-6's??

9. New one on me. I have been educated. :)

10. Yes i know that a chain will jump time.It wasnt running like it should but it was running.An yes it is gear drive timeing not chain an i say it didnt jump there b/c timeing marks are in line.it acts like to me that the distribiter is been turned,haven't got truck home to check it over good. its in good shape 4 its age an to make a work/hunten truck for only giveing $150. for it if it dont take a arm an leg to get running.

11. what does a timeing kit cost for it i know a complete overhaul kit is higher that sheet

12. bunniebuster

bunniebuster 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2004
    winchester ky
    i think it was 50 bucks for the gears and you will hafta take the intake off so you will need the gasket for it and the push rod cover under the intake , its a pretty simple job but you hafta take alot of stuff off the motor so you can get the cam out, if you was around winchester i could do it for around 150 plus parts.

13. lightfoot52

lightfoot52 Fawn

Jun 4, 2009
    Out of time

Sounds like out of time.Get number one cyl. up on compression stroke (ALL THE WAY UP)PUT SCREWDDIVER INTO SPARK PLUG HOLE AND FEEL PISTON WHEN ITS TO THE TOP.ROTOR SHOULD BE POINTING TO NUMBER ONE PLUG WIRE ON DIST. CAP.If not on compression stroke it will be 180 degrees off.

14. lightfoot52

lightfoot52 Fawn

Jun 4, 2009
    To check timing-find number one plug,insert screwdriver in spark plug hole,get piston ALL the way up on compression stroke.Rotor should be pointing to number one plug wire on dist. cap.If not on compresson stroke (exh.stroke) it will be 180 degrees off. (Also the timing marks should line up or be 180 degrees off depending on cyl. position)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009