RVs for camping

Aug 8, 2017
New York
Looking to get an RVs for camping of some sort for my camping travels. Can't decide if I want a pop-up, truck camper, or A regular tow behind. What are you guys using and how do you like your setup?
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
I've used all 3 and would recommend a tow behind #1. Pop up a distant #2. Depending on what size you're looking at it may be cheaper to get a class C when you figure in cost of a truck to tow it. I'm currently in the market for a small tow behind, big and cozy enough to sleep the family without any major frills. Tight market for them the last 2 years though.

Velvet ears

8 pointer
Nov 6, 2013
West KY
I just bought a 27 ft toy hauler. I like being able to take the golf cart. Plus it has 2 queen size motorized beds in the back that come down instead of twin size bunks and the ceiling height is higher than a standard camper.

If I had my way, I would go class a .

Screenshot_20220130-195314_Photos~2.jpg

Regulator623

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2006
Eastern Kentucky
If you enjoy camping, a camper is the only way to go. We got a 24' bumper pull about three years ago, nothing fancy but 10x better than our old tent. No more worries about rainstorms, cold weather, hot weather, packing and unpacking....hook to it and take off. Only negative is getting a good camping spot, most campgrounds stack rv's in like firewood. And don't buy bigger than your truck can handle.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Started with a pull behind Airstream, then a 5th wheel when we had kids, and now have a slide in truck camper for just the 2 of us. It all depends on how many camping, what kind of camping, where, how long, etc.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Hard to find a deal rite now. Start with a pull behind if you can and when its time to replace the tires go with highest ply radials that will fit the rims. Tires tear a lot of shit up when they pop from being over loaded and they will always blow when your between concrete side barriers for a couple miles so they continue to rip stuff apart while you limp to a pull off.

DH13

12 pointer
Jan 13, 2012
Shelby county
I started out with 24 foot tag a long. Had it 3 years traded it in a 30 footer with slide outs. More room. If my truck didnt have a topper on it. Id go with a fifth wheel.

grinder

10 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Started with tents, then a popup camper, then a 25 ft travel trailer, then back to a popup. Popups are light(easy tow for a light truck) and spacious. I decided i did not want to keep a fuel hog truck just to occaisionally tow a camper. My popup sleeps 7, no bathroom, and i never even cook in it, although i can. Thing is, when im camping, only thing we go inside for is to sleep, so why do i need a full kitchen. Campfire cooking, and the hiss of a 2 burner coleman is what camping is. I do have a basement i can store my popup in, raised up to stay aired out, and keep the damn mice out of. Buddy kept his closed up outside all winter and mice ruined his canvas. One reason i do not like to cook in it. Food odors in the canvas just encourages the little [email protected]$tards to chew on it.
Its more trouble to set up, and if you have to close it up wet you have to get it somewhere inder roof and open it up and dry it out. Setup gets easier every time you do it.
I pull mine with a 1500 silverado, 2 wheel drive 4.3 v-6. Pulls very easy at just 1400#. My travel trailer was 4800# empty. It will pull it, but im sure would shorten the tranny life, and suck lotsa gas. Its scary in high winds, but all campers are. Big campers are sketchy to tow in high winds, the popup is no issue.

Xeanene

Fawn
Apr 7, 2022
New Jersey
There were three of us: me, a friend of mine and a dog - we had 1995 Fleetwood Bounder - we had quite enough space for everyone. Affordable, comfortable and simple RV, now my friend is selling it for about $17k as he wants to purchase something modern

Latest posts