Rutting moon

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by columbia whitetail, Oct 29, 2012.

1. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    Was wondering is the full moon we see this morning is what the experts are referring to as the rutting moon? I remember reading North American whitetail and they were saying the 2nd full moon after the autumn equinox would be the rutting moon. Any opinions?

2. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    I read the same thing last year but hell who knows! All i know is its getting close to being that time of year reguardless of the moon phase.

3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Yes it is and it's also the reason most think there will be a slightly earlier rut. Moon is full a little earlier than normal. This week should be really good hunting, moon phase and weather wise.

4. columbia whitetail

columbia whitetail 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2009
    columbia
    All the wind makes it a little rough. I did see deer yesterday evening about dusk. Two big bodied deer but just couldn't tell if they had horns. It's should be getting right.

5. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Saw a Doe out in my back field this morning. I believe Bucks are more active at night during a full Moon phase.

6. masterbilt

masterbilt 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2011
    I say there will be alot of night time movement

7. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    I don't know about the night movement. I'm certainly no expert but I work night shift and while patrolling the roads in my county I'm constantly looking for deer. During a full moon I almost never see any deer stirring around at night. There is one place that I check often because most nights its common to see 40-50 deer including some nice bucks but if the moon is full it is a ghost town at night!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

8. B Hicks

B Hicks 12 pointer

Sep 29, 2006
    Lancaster, KY
    It should be just right when I get to Fort Knox this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday... least I'm hoping..

9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm hoping also. Should be good and the wind is suppose to subside.

10. Shedhunter4011

Shedhunter4011 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2009
    Up a Tree
    Man did you get drawn for the best weekend of the archery season. Good Luck.

11. mhounshell

mhounshell 6 pointer

Jul 19, 2006
    KY
    I also will be hunting fort knox this weekend and i can't what to hit the wood. Going to hunt from daylight till dark and hopefully I can get it done in three day. Good luck

12. tyshe17

tyshe17 12 pointer

May 4, 2007
    Some guys got all the luck...