Rut still going?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by gobblergetter, Nov 24, 2009.

1. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    I have been unable to hunt lately. I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark.:( I hunted this weekend but didn't see much activity. Definitely nothing like last sat (8 different bucks 9 does fighting and chasing) Nothin like that this weekend. What are the deer doing in your area? If anyone from Owensboro/Henderson area can chime in that would be great is it is closer to my location. I'm wondering if the rut is winding down already.

2. struttin&ruttin

struttin&ruttin 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2006
    Henderson, KY
    Did the rut ever start? I have seen bucks and I have seen does, but not together. I know it is and has been going on but not where I am hunting. There are scrapes everywhere, but very few rubs compared to years past. I would say some activity must still be going on. I found 2 very fresh scrapes this past Sunday morning.

3. Buck_Nasty

Buck_Nasty 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2009
    Laurel County
    Rut not very strong in my hunting areas either. I saw a few bucks chasing but not as much as last season.

4. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

I have seen more rutting behavior at a retirement home. A lot more chasing to! :(

5. bahouse3

bahouse3 Spike

Oct 25, 2005
    Hancock Co.
    Saw a decent buck chasing a doe hard while driving to work here in Hancock Co. this morning.

6. dbd870

dbd870 6 pointer

Jun 12, 2009
    Indiana
    I know one pair that was. I hunted your state the last 3 days. Heard a racket in the woods - knew what it was, sure enough here comes a doe bounding over the rise. I got ready and saw antlers and ears - he made me wait for what seemed like hours - he finally came up and I took him; 2.5yr old 8pt. The following 2 days I saw a doe at about 350yds. and a small buck. Slowest I've ever seen that farm.

7. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    i think this year the rut fell in march i have yet to see much buck movement myself...and this is on big pieces of property with litle to zilcho rut activity

surely its about to show some sign soon

8. boskeet2

boskeet2 Fawn

Nov 3, 2009
    i think the chasing has extended well beyond its usual time frame due to the warm weather. ive seen bucks chasing for 2 weeks including this morning and still have not seen a single doe in heat yet. last weekend i tried using some doe in heat tinks 69 and every doe that came by blew and took off. im thinking this weekend and the cool weather its supposed to bring will start the breeding phase.

9. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    Big bucks travelin now. Does mostly out of heat.