Ruger Mk III 22/45 Hunter JUNK!

deertalker

Banned
Jul 22, 2008
Anyone else own one of these jammomatics? This is the biggest piece of junk that has ever followed me home!:mad:

Yes i've took off all the ruger lawyer crap, filed mags, and its still junk. Worst gun i've ever owned

stalkingbear

6 pointer
Nov 21, 2007
Marion Co
You have an extremely rare pistol. I've never seen a Ruger semi-auto .22 pistol malfunction like that. How is it malfunctioning? Have you even thought about sending it back to Ruger?? I've had several Ruger .22 pistols and not had problems like you're having. Is it the long barreled version-if so I'd be interested in it. Where do you live-I'm in Marion Co.

Anyone else own one of these jammomatics? This is the biggest piece of junk that has ever followed me home!:mad:

Yes i've took off all the ruger lawyer crap, filed mags, and its still junk. Worst gun i've ever owned

brasskeeper

6 pointer
Sep 10, 2002
Richmond
My advice is take a deep breath and take a break.
Don't do anything rash. Give Ruger a call they have excellent customer service

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Product Service Department
411 Sunapee Street
Newport, NH 03773
Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165

Brown Dogs Matter

12 pointer
Jun 7, 2004
Louisville, KY.
I'm going to go out on a limb, and say "it's the ammunition".

The cheapest ammo I've fed thru my MkIII 22/45 (w/bull barrel) is the bulk Federal stuff. The Remington cartridges with the gold-colored stuff will jam every other shot. The Federal stuff from Wally World that runs ~$14/box of 550 rounds shoots fine. Try those, or CCI Mini-mags or CCI Stingers.

Generally speaking, when you have a good quality gun that malfunctions, it's an ammunition issue. Or a magazine issue...but, I'd go with ammo first.

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
I'm going to go out on a limb, and say "it's the ammunition".

The cheapest ammo I've fed thru my MkIII 22/45 (w/bull barrel) is the bulk Federal stuff. The Remington cartridges with the gold-colored stuff will jam every other shot. The Federal stuff from Wally World that runs ~$14/box of 550 rounds shoots fine. Try those, or CCI Mini-mags or CCI Stingers.

Generally speaking, when you have a good quality gun that malfunctions, it's an ammunition issue. Or a magazine issue...but, I'd go with ammo first.

Exactly what I was going to say!

Quickdraw Limpsalot

12 pointer
Sep 16, 2005
Larue Co.
Trust Me touched on the part that stood out in the O.P. for me. If by "took all the lawyer crap off" means you bypassed the magazine disconnect and/or removed the loaded chamber indicator, I'd say there's a darn good chance you caused the issue(s) yourself and created a "piece of junk" from a perfectly capable platform.

Mine is still lawyerized and shoots like a champ, but I don't let things like a tiny piece of plastic sticking out less than 1/8" to tell me I have one in the pipe distract me.

Brown Dogs Matter

12 pointer
Jun 7, 2004
Louisville, KY.
Trust Me touched on the part that stood out in the O.P. for me. If by "took all the lawyer crap off" means you bypassed the magazine disconnect and/or removed the loaded chamber indicator, I'd say there's a darn good chance you caused the issue(s) yourself and created a "piece of junk" from a perfectly capable platform.

Mine is still lawyerized and shoots like a champ, but I don't let things like a tiny piece of plastic sticking out less than 1/8" to tell me I have one in the pipe distract me.

Wow. I didn't pick up on that.

He removed two integral parts of the firearm, both of which are in/around the area where rounds are fed, and now complains about it not working?

Umm...yeah. Scratch what I said about the ammo, and chalk this one up to "user error". Major user error. Exactly how did you (the OP) go about removing the LCI (loaded chamber indicator), and then deactivate the magazine disconnect?

This outta be real interesting....and related to the above post -

Maybe it's just my gun, but it won't feed anything reliably unless it's the hotter stuff. The Federal stuff is copper jacketed, so it won't deform as badly as the Remington bulk pack stuff. The Remington ammo DID cycle the gun, but when it would hit the feeding ramp, a number of them would deform and fail to feed. I just started buying the Federal stuff, since it didn't deform as badly, and the rest is history. Again, it could just be my particular gun that's picky. That happens a lot with 1911's, no real reason it couldn't happen with my .22.

Quickdraw Limpsalot

12 pointer
Sep 16, 2005
Larue Co.
Disclaimer: To be fair, he didn't state exactly what mods he did to his Ruger, but he did state that he "took the lawyer crap off" and those two mods are common among the Mark III crowd as things to change.... so my money says that's probably the way it went down.

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
Disclaimer: To be fair, he didn't state exactly what mods he did to his Ruger, but he did state that he "took the lawyer crap off" and those two mods are common among the Mark III crowd as things to change.... so my money says that's probably the way it went down.

I missed that part too (somehow) and agree that would be the most likely "Lawyer crap" to be removed; and is a VERY likely cause of the problem.

FWIW I have owned (and still own) several Ruger pistols (including the .45 I carry) and have NEVER even heard of one being "junk", IF one "is junk" my $$ is on someone making it so after it left the factory...

I also have heard many great things about Ruger's service (but have never needed it myself) I kinda doubt they'd be happy about those "modifications" though :eek:

Latest posts