ruger mini 14

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by riverboss, Jan 13, 2010.

1. darianbarr

darianbarr Spike

Dec 23, 2006
    ive got a 10/22 that ill shoot against any 22 you got

2. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    Bet it won't outshoot my CZ M-452 AMERICAN.:D Inorder to get Ruger's 10/22 to shoot accurately; you must spend more money on it than what you paid for the rifle (new).

3. darianbarr

darianbarr Spike

Dec 23, 2006
    mine is a factory ruger 10/22 bull barrel i paid around 350 for and it shoots very well other than the scope thats all i have in it,how much did you pay for the cz bolt action 400 to 450. ive owned 2 standerd 10/22 and both shot as good as any other semi-auto gun out there. you said that the 10/22s were not accurate i beg to differ the cz is a very acurate gun also but im sure i can hit anything you can with my junky ruger

4. steelslinger

steelslinger 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Union County, KY, USA.
    Post 2005 mini's are alot more accurate than the older ones. Yes it has to do with the bbl's and a revamped assy line.

Newer mini's are just fine for 200 yard yote shots.

5. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    I purchased my CZ Model 452 AMERICAN CLASSIC back in 2000. I paid $350 for it new. Later, I sent it off to Williams to have front & rear firesights installed as I think .22 LR sporters look stupid without open sights. My CZ will group 5-shots in < than .50" @ 75 yards all day long. It seems to like CCI Mini-Mag. .22 LR Hollow Point ammo. I currently have a Weaver Rimfire Classic 4-power scope on it. If I choose I can remove the scope and use the open sights.

6. darianbarr

darianbarr Spike

Dec 23, 2006
    people can say they can do alot of things on the internet and im not getting in an argument over this you said ruger 10/22s are not accurate i know czs are also and ill settle for my dime size 10 shot groups or 30 shot groups [which ever clip i decide to use] at only 50yds, if thats not accurate i can live with that. by the way i have a mini 14 im going to shoot for a friend im excited to see how it shoots i like the feel of it it would make a great truck gun oh yeah what style of ruger 10/22 did you have that wasnt acurate and how much did you pay for it you got a pretty good deal on that cz was it new

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    First off it is an proven fact that bolt actions are more accurate than semi auto's. I am wondering how much more money did you have to spend inorder to get your Ruger 10/22 to shoot groups of dime size? I didn't have to do a thing, to my CZ 452, to get it to shoot < .50" @ 75 yards. Also the Ruger 10/22 I once owned was their standard one & it shot 3" to 5" groups @ 50 yards!! Also I thought it had way too much plastic parts and it felt rather "Cheap" for the price of the gun. I also had a Mini-30 at one time and it too was very inaccurate. The first shot would always be high and to the right, and the average 100 yard group of five shots averaged 5" even with the BEST handloads. My SKS BEATS the Mini-30 or even Mini-14 Hands Down in accuracy.

8. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Yet they shoot National match competitions with M1, M1A, AR15 and so on. Three gun is shot with the AR.

Guess I am confused. I thought these were semi auto's.

9. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    I wasn't talking about match target rifles such as the one you mention. Those rifles you listed are fired with carefully loaded ammo and matched bullets. The rifles (Semi Auto) used by the averager hunter is not in the same league and the aren't as accurate as bolt actions.

10. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    SO reloading is only for the competition shooter? I guess my time at the range testing different load combinations makes me a competition shooter?

I guess those CMP shoots are custom, tricked out guns as well.

11. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    Here's more information for you: Bolt-action firearms have earned a reputation for being more accurate and reliable than any semi-automatic rifle. For this reason, they are still the choice of many hunters, target shooters and snipers. This is true because of the way that bolt action rifles close the chamber. When a cartridge fires inside the chamber, the force from the charge is completely directed at propelling the bullet down the barrel (in an autoloader, part of the energy is used to cycle the action). Also, a bolt action's only moving parts when firing are the pin and spring. Since it has fewer moving parts and a short lock time, it has less of a chance of being thrown off target and less of a chance to malfunction. Bolt actions are also easier to operate from a prone position than other manually repeating mechanisms and work well with box magazines which are easier to fill and maintain than tubular magazines. <Nuff Said!>

12. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    these guns compete against other sem-auto's, not bolt guns. not a one of these holds a single NBRSA record. their all held by bolt guns.

13. BadDuck

BadDuck 12 pointer

Aug 13, 2007
    Bullitt County
    OK.

Obviously I have no idea what I am talking about. So why dont you bring your most accurate bolt gun and I will bring my most accurate (stock off the shelf) semi auto and we can settle this.

I fully understand the inherent capability and function of bolt action rifles as well as that of a semi auto. By design bolt actions have the functional ability to be more accurate than a semi auto. But thats where it ends. Just being a bolt action DOES NOT make it more accurate than a semi auto and that is what you said.

In other words...put up or shut up...NUFF SAID!

14. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    I agree with you 100% here. I've seen & shot some wickedly accurate semi-auto's & a whole bunch of poorly accurate bolt guns. JMO, formed from a few years of reloading myself, but the greatest factor to accuracy is the relationship between the ammunition & the barrel. With the bullet itself being the greatest factor from the ammunition side of the equation. a crappy barrel will not shoot any ammo worth a darn, & the best of barrels just won't digest some bullets, regardless of what you push em' with.

15. darianbarr

darianbarr Spike

Dec 23, 2006
    hoosier5 again read this carefully, in your original post you said ruger 10/22s are not accurate yet my my stock from ruger 10/22 bull barrel is very accurate again it is stock from ruger. i never said that your cz is not acurate , the 10/22 that you owned must have been a newer one because none of mine have plastic parts, the standad 10/22s that i owned would shoot much better than your 10/22 did so in other words you based your opinion on one rifle. im not afriad to shoot my 10/22 against any other rifle it does everything i want it to. plenty of squirrels, foxs, groundhogs, and other animals havent liked it. oh by the why 10/22s dont have tubular magazines they have a rotary clip

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010