Ruger LCP 2 ..anyone have any experience with one?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by JDMiller, Jan 9, 2020.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’ve carried a Glock 43 (9mm)for a couple years now.... absolutely love this gun and won’t stop carrying it as my primary concealed carry. But I have to admit there’s times it’s not as easy to conceal, especially during summer months and light clothing.

I’ve thought many times about picking up a LCP to give me another option. But I never could get past the double action trigger pull... and ultimately just put that notion somewhere else.

Well.... recently while browsing guns I noticed the LCP 2 and fondled it. It’s basically the same size as the original LCP but it operates more like a striker fired weapon.... it’s got a really nice trigger for a pocket gun. Even the grip angle seems a little more “Glock like” which is a plus to me.

I’m thinking pretty hard about buying one ... and I know these 380’s are short range, shove it up their nose and squeeze the trigger type guns. But man I sure liked the size & feel of this gun.

Anyone have one or want to offer up opinions??

https://ruger.com/products/lcpII/specSheets/3750.html

2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    FWIW, the instructor of my CCW class was an active police officer. His CCW was a .380. Taurus, I believe.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Are you looking to pocket carry it or keep it on your belt? If you aren’t considering pocket carrying you might also want to look into the Glock 42. My buddy has one and absolutely raves about the accuracy and ease of shooting. I’ve shot it and it’s not hard to shoot. I think I’d personally have problems with the LCP as far as shootability.

Of course the 42 can be pocket carried, too.

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’m looking to pocket carry or even the holster wallet for my back pocket if need be. Which again summer months ...jeans & t-shirt... light clothing in general. Which now with the 43 its usually IWB or occasionally ankle holster.

I actually looked at a 42.... its small ...but not as small as the LCP or LCP2. The other thing is cost....LCP2 is $257 and the Glock 42 is in the $400 range give or take a little. Which cost is’nt a big deal to the extent.... but I’m looking at size more than anything and the 42 is not that much difference than the 43 I’m packing now.

Also have to say as far as shootability..... I agree the 42 with a tad more barrel & sight picture will shoot better. It’s the one thing I’ve said for awhile about the 43... its about as good as it gets in a pistol that size. That said on these 380’s.... they have come a long way on ammo & bullets with this caliber but energy & velocity wise, its still a up close and personal round.

5. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I like them better than the Kel-Tec P-3AT. I'm not real big on .380's for cci although my wife and sister both carry one. I have an uncle that is a "glock guy" and he loves his ruger lcp when he needs to carry something really compact.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have one I carry a the time, great little pistol!
    Never had a failure to feed or anything to make me nervous.
    I like carrying it in a sticker in.my pocket.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Shoot it! I hated the original ruger 9mm sub compact, cause the trigger sucked. I bought a sig 938 because it was the most ergonomic and had nite sights. BUT I was shooting sick groups with the improved version of the ruger with a better trigger. I almost bought it over the sig because I shot it so well.
    I’d say you’ll have an easy decision after shooting it one way or another.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    This one will be even lighter fully loaded with 10 and 1 in the pipe. I don’t know about 22 LR though. He was having fun shooting it though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I am not going to suggest you buy anything, because everyone has their own favorite.
    But I was looking for a new smaller carry pistol and settled on a KAHR PM .45 JUST because of the superior trigger. The PM is rather expensive version of the C models.
    Yeah. I got a .45. They are a 1 shot stopper.

aaronc and glenmorebuckman like this.
  10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Well ... called around & checked prices on the LCP II yesterday ...found one locally for $269. Went today and bought it.

Which prices for these guns are all over the place. Being two places here in Murray had them for $299. In Paducah, Academy was $289 and Rural King was $257..but none in stock. Ended up buying from Personal Security Firearms just a few miles down the road from me in Marshall county.

I’m going to try to run some shells through it this week. But believe I’m going to like it ... dang thing is small & lightweight even with the magazine loaded. Be a nice option to pack when the Glocks 43 is not as easy to conceal.

FDC84522-E069-4312-8B9C-0E9EDB3756B9.jpeg

Comparison between my Glock 43 vs. the LCP II.

60C5D67C-AB74-4FD0-BDDE-30FC6AC14333.jpeg
    56D2A2A3-CEA9-43ED-AA41-ADDF5581C9FE.jpeg

11. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman 6 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Caneyville, Ky, USA.
    I conceal carry a 1911 .45 myself. Hardly ever leave the house without it. Love the .45.

riverboss likes this.
  12. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Little sooner than I figured but took advantage of a little free time this afternoon and burned some lead with my new toy.

I set the target at 21 feet using the 95 grain Winchester white box and all shots were off hand ... no rest or bags.

Took me a magazine or so to kinda get the sight picture figured out and about as long to adjust my grip. After I got shooting it wasn’t too bad . Which the bulk of my shots were a tad high & left... that’s just me and not the gun.

0AEE7AE3-8FC5-4324-AA0D-D1743EB21574.jpeg

carnivore likes this.
  13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Is the glock 43 way easier to hang onto? That 380 is tiny, less recoil, but damn its small.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Yes... without a doubt the 43 is easy to control. More sight picture... more grip and I upgraded the sights to TFO’s and next to my 1911 it’s one of the more accurate pistols I own.

Which my son in law packs a S&W Cutom Shop / Performance Shield 9mm. The Glock 43 and the Shield are pretty much identical in size. Small but not too small to shoot accurately. I’d recommend either one for edc.

Which as I said early on .... this Ruger LCP II isn’t taking the place of the Glock 43... not by a long shot. It’s just giving me another option when I can’t conceal the 43 easily and might just be a handful of days a year. Which as I see it ... your carry gun is only good if your carrying it.

Here’s a pic of the 43 results ... 21 feet and off hand... draw & shoot.
    4EACF950-C930-40C2-8C77-B2555692D82D.jpeg

15. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    I don't have any experience with the LCP II but I do carry a Ruger LC9s Pro which is 9mm and I really like it. Small, extremely concealable, and the grip with the pinky extension on the mag is just right for me. No mag disconnect safety and no external safety to fool with. It is set up like a Glock in that respect. And it has one the best triggers I've seen on a striker fired pistol.

riverboss, JDMiller and HCDH66 like this.