Ruff Tales of Appalachia

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 1, 2009.

1. djs

djs Fawn

Jan 30, 2010
    "Now that sounds like a grouse tell to me. Something someone from Chicago would tell."

Ronnie, your sarcasm is duly noted!:D

However guys, and I'm not kidding, I knew the bird was hit when I saw him clear the trees and he just kept flying nearly vertically. I didn't know if I had hit him, but when I saw the abnormal flight pattern, I yelled to my son to watch where he came down. Problem was, the cover was so thick from the trees to the ground that it still took a long time to find it.
    I've seen this 2x before, once when my dad took me pheasant hunting when I was a little shaver, and another time just a few years back when I saw my brother shoot a rooster that flew off as if nothing happened. Then, at the edge of the cornfield, it just towered nearly straight up and then dropped like a stone.
    In both instances when we recovered the bird,neither one looked as if it had been hit at all. Upon cleaning, both had single puncture wounds through the lungs into the heart.
    I don't profess to be the best grouse shot, and I heartily agree that even with a good retriever, you really have to search for birds that may have been hit when they seemed like clean misses.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. pumpkinman

pumpkinman Fawn

Jan 9, 2010
    better luck next year...

Well I made my last trip out to the old covert where I learned to grouse hunt in Morgan county today. My 12th trip out for the season but 1st trip up there in a couple years hunted 4-5 hours. Just never found the habitat today as has been typical for most of my trips this year. Been hoping to get my dog on some birds this year and for the first time this year he locked up pretty good and as I got to him Mr. turkey strolled by out front. Maybe I can do some more scouting between now and next year and find some better habitat. Just sucks to have to drive so far. I live in Lexington. It was still nice to see some wildlife today even though it wasn't what I had hoped for. I hunted from London to Morehead this year and raised 5 birds and killed one. I'm thinking hunting by myself has led to my lack of intestinal fortitude to venture deep enough into the woods to find the birds this year. It can be a little unerving hunting new places by yourself especailly when you get a couple miles away from the truck. Good to see you guys had a good year.

3. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Snuck out this afternoon for a few hours, moved 4 grouse and 2 sewer dwellers. Hunted the meanest nastiest autumn olive hell you could imagine, and only caught glimpses of the grouse, as they whipped me like a rented mule. Dog did well, which is all that matters to me, as he has roared back after his injury and today pointed every bird moved.

4. mountain grouser

mountain grouser Spike

Jan 31, 2008
    Going out tommorow for the last trip. Had a lot of fun this winter as usual. I just thank God that i am fortunate enough to still enjoy the grouse woods after 25 years of chasing them. Nothing compares to chasing ole mr. ruff threw the Big black mountain in Harlan county.I,ve killed 7 birds this year.Been nice talking to you fellows God bless and we,ll see you next fall.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Poor little thing. She never gets to run in the woods, does she?

Just for that little snide remark, I am not going to email you the original big-as-life version of this picture of your little dog on that fabulous point she had yesterday...

[​IMG]

Nor will I forward you a copy of this photo in which your dog is a pointing a bird and my super-talented gyp pup is backing:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Dunn has been trying to buy and/or steal my little 9 month old gyp dog lately, so I gave him the slip and hunted by myself today. Walked out the back door and hassled the birds that I've been keeping secret for just such a day as this.

We hadn't been out the door more than 10 minutes and Bawdy's beeper went off up on a pine flat thicket. She was out of sight but only about 20 yards away. I started climbing up to her and heard the flush. The poor bird crossed left-to-right in front of me. As usual, the first shot was behind but the second folded the bird up nicely. The bird hit down in the creek and was doing the dying-cockroach with the wingbeats, so Bawd zeroed in on it and gave it the coup-de-grace. She carried up the hill a few feet toward me, but then dropped it and went back to hunting. So much for a pretty retrieve.

Here's the cover the bird was holding in:

[​IMG]

The bird had a few honeysuckle leaves in it. That was it. It was a pretty bird with the chocolate ruff that is somewhere between the common black and the uncommon orange. Bawd mauled it a bit so no tailfan will be saved.

[​IMG]

I cut the hunt short after my compass froze up and the dog's beeper started shorting out. I climbed down in the wrong holler and spent 45 minutes climbing back up to the 1200 elevation to get back where I wanted to be. All the mid and high level thickets were empty. After killing this bird down in the holler I should have stayed down low the rest of the day. That's where I'll be on the last day of the season.

My circle of 6 friends have tallied 38 birds this season over 6 dogs and 3 pups. 50 was the goal before the snow and ice set in on us in Jan and Feb, so we lowered the target to 40. If two birds wake up unlucky tomorrow, we'll make 40 and we can call this a pretty good year.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Great day on on the mtn sides today, moved 13 birds, however as usual our shooting was sub par, we brought one home. Birds held extremely well today, and were scattered from top to bottom in our neck of the woods. Still finding family groups as one of the groups had 4 birds in it, 3 smaller ones and one giant one. Could be grouped up due to the weather, but I seem to think this was momma and babies.

One last hoorah tomorrow...

8. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Is the picture Trust Me posted a picture of JonDunn's setter he was so worried about last year? If so, she must have "got it" her third year, cause she sure looks good in that picture. Intense on her point!!! Like that.

Have enjoyed all the forum stories this year. Seems like the birds were up from last year. With the snow and distance I have to travel to hunt, only got out about 7 times this year. Very few bird contacts. Am in northern Ky and am limited to hunting the DNF. Fewest hunts in years. Now I will start working the dogs and day dream about the northwoods next fall.

Hope all have a great off season. Post any training pics you take.

9. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Ended the year with 4 birds to my credit, 2 of which came in the last week or so over points from my little gyp. She is far beyond what I hoped for at the end of this season. I plan to work her on a few pigeons this spring and then hit the ground running in Wisconsin come October.

Our season lasts what, 118 days? Imagine if it was like turkey or deer season and we only got to hunt for a few weeks. I get to hunt grouse for a full one third of the calendar year, more if you factor in a week or so up North.

11. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Thanks for sharing your hunts guys. I hope to get back in the grouse woods next year. Really enjoyed the stores.

12. grousehunter ky

grousehunter ky 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2008
    London, KY
    Last day of the season

Had a great last day to end the season. Moved 11 birds. Seven of them were grouped up together, my buddy sneezed and they started rolling up. One decided to hold and my young female got a nice point and we knocked it down. Ended up with one bird to take home and 3 solid points. Birds were jumpy for us today and we had a hard time getting close.

Ended the season with 10 grouse taken over my dogs and flushed 63 over all. Definitely a better year than the last couple. Already looking forward to next year.

13. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Last day for us and the weather killed our hunting today. We drove through 28 degree freezing mist, saw a fatal car wreck along our treck and finally arrived to a mountain side glazed over with 1/4" of ice covering everything. We did end up moving 4 birds over the course of the day, and killing one.

This season for me was a up and down, with the loss of my dog for 8 weeks with a back injury it really cut down my woods time, however I managed to kill 8 birds over him, and many others were killed over friends dogs.

Our bird numbers were definitely up, and if it weren't for the continuous awful weather the season would have been much more enjoyable. However, in the end I miss it already, and hope everyone has a good and relaxing summer.

14. uplandchessies

uplandchessies 10 pointer

Mar 20, 2002
    Florence, Ky, USA.
    I extend Birdman's comments. I will be in the grouse woods next season.

15. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    One more photo of the snowy season

This is me and Dunn watching a dog get birdy. It seems all our photos of this season have snow in them.

[​IMG]