Ruff Tales of Appalachia

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 1, 2009.

1. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Lets hear it ya'll... How did the opener go? Hunted a spot today that we got up 5 birds last year, killing 2 of those, but never flew a bird in it today. What is the food looking like in some of the spots you guys have been in? Beech nuts are nearly non existing, but we have seen some grapes around. Im keeping my fingers crossed that its gonna be a good year.

2. A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER

A.K.A. GROUSEGUNNER 8 pointer

Dec 6, 2004
    with the rains from this spring, I'm not very optimistic, but hope I'm very wrong.

3. greytail

greytail 8 pointer

Jun 3, 2004
    Knot Co. Ky.
    I'm not finding any beech. There were a few acorns but I'm not seeing any now. Not a grouse hunter any more but I'm still in the woods 3 or 4 times a week. I haven't flew a grouse since last winter.
    Like stated above I figure the wet spring and summer was very harsh on chicks.

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I took the pup and stomped around some thickets for a few hours. Didn't see a grouse. Didn't see a unicorn either. Both have been rare lately.

5. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Just throwin a thought out here, does anybody else think the exploding turkey population is killing grouse out. I've noticed places here in Breathitt co. areas that used to be full of grouse are now full of turkeys. The grouse have dissapeared. You can find where a flock of turkeys had fed through the woods and theres no nuts, bugs, berries or anything else left for the grouse to eat. To me turkeys are the new coyotes, should be put on the nuisance list and have a year round season. :D Oh and as far as my season opener, my grouse dog is retired now, layin on the couch. "Grouse hunting" around here has become "dog excersize", he can do that in the yard.

6. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    My borther saw one while bowhunting yesterday. He was up in the stand and it walked right past him.

7. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    had four nice points and killed young male today in appalchia . nice to shoot at birds I can see , and on dry land, after sloshing through impenatrable Wisconsin thickets last week after forty yards flushers.

8. birdsandbirds

birdsandbirds Fawn

Aug 7, 2008

Is the 4 about normal for the area or is that way down??

9. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    actully about twice what saw in that round last year.

10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Get the grease hot!

Took the day off and took the mother-daughter duo to a couple of short hollers. I climbed up to the top and then hunted the top bench around the contours. Mom pointed the the first one which left just a little early for me to get a shot. I walked the second one up, and even though I didn't want to shoot at unpointed birds, the old Ithaca was so startled it leaped up and fired in self-defense. The gun is old and tired so it shot a little behind the bird.

After lunch I got up with RW and we took his two year old and his 4 year old to a long hollow. We saw the first bird right down in the creek as we were driving up the holler. Later got a good point in a deep draw from the both dogs and the bird shot out the top of the draw unharmed.

We got a second point on top of a small finger ridge in a big downed beech. The young dog saw the bird running and he couldn't stand it; he gave chase. I heard RW yelling and cussing on the other side of the pile, and suddenly a big bird came tearing out right in front of me. I fired a single shot and my swing was interrupted by a maple. The bird set his wings and glided down for a crash-landing on the opposite face of the holler. We climbed over to it and I figured the dogs would chase down the wounded bird, but it flushed and flew right back across to where it came from and landed in a beech. I marked the bird, and away we went again. Got over there and I couldn't spot it at first, but then the dogs ran under its tree and it made a little flap, so I held a bit high and rolled him out with a tree swat. Big beautiful mature bird, would have been perfect to mount but I'd rather eat'em. It was stuffed full with grapes and grape juice.

I skinned the whole bird and found the first shot had hit the legs and the butt section, so I'd been a little behind the bird as usual. There was some blood in the gut cavity so it was a dead bird, just didn't know it.

I saw 2 birds at the first location and 3 at the second, and frankly that was about par. Maybe there will be more birds this year than we suspect.

Those limb shots can be pretty difficult, so any members here that need some lessons on tree birds can just check in with me Saturday morning.

11. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    What is your goin rate at the moment? What is your success rate also? I've heard of a feller not to far from you that gave lessons, but his was on the wing. Does yours cover both? Oh, an about the ithica... Are you sure that its old and tired, or could it be something else? By the way, what time are these lessons starting Saturday? How did Bawdy Girl do yesterday?

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Bawdy just ran the trail and let her mother do all the heavy lifting. She tried to keep up with her mother for the first 20 minutes but you know how successful she was.

13. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Hiked a long holler today with a bunch of little drains and coves branching off in it. Stayed down low the whole time. It was to hot to have the dogs on the top of the hills. Got up one bird down low in the head of the holler. I guess the sound of my gun caused the bird to loose a copious amount of feathers, and it possibly addled the poor little feller because he just went crazy on his flight pattern, but never ended up being put in the vest. Im not sure if Im shooting behind, or if the ol 20 gauge just doesnt have what it takes. 3 birds this year that has gotten by like that. Anyhow, was way to hot to walk around these hills today. Hope it cools down pretty soon.

14. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Out Thursday evening by myself couple hours moved two grouse (got point on one by old dog) no connect though on my part.
    Out Today about three hours moved three birds all pointed but no feathers. I am using a new gun (that's my excuse). May have to go back to my old twenty. Got hot quick today leaves are sure dry.
    I was hoping to move a few woodcock but have not seen the first one!
    Any of you guys seeing any?

15. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Hunted 2 hours saturday, got way to hot on me and dogs, got a point and a back on a lone woodcock. No grouse, what a surprise.