Ruff Tales of Appalachia 12-13

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    What's everyone's opinion on the late snow up north? Will it help the grouse or hurt?

2. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

I'm taking it as a positive this year. There was a huge migration of raptors into the northwoods this winter, and nearly ideal snow roosting conditions had to have helped protect the grouse, even now.

I talked to my partner in Phillips and he said he heard several drummers last weekend while turkey hunting and even flushed a hen off of the nest with 4 eggs in it.

3. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Snow during nesting/mating in manageable quantities sometimes bode well for birds. As long as temperatures aren't unbelievably low or bad cases of severe ice. They are survivors.

I would at least hope so anyway...

4. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I seen one hit on the side of a very busy road on the way home from work Thursday evening. I was very surprised when I realized what it was because it is farm country.

5. Rossi

Rossi 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2009
    Montgomery Co. , KY
    I heard more Drumming this year than I had for a while , also saw a Grouse standing on the road and wouldnt move so I got of the truck and walked up to the bird it flew just over a fence and sat right back down I couldnt see any little ones but I bet they were there .

6. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    believe the forecast is for up to 6 inches tonight.

7. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Heard a couple different birds drumming yesterday evening while looking for mushrooms. This was a remote location covering a couple miles. Found 3.5 lbs of yellow shrooms.

8. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Phillips, WI got 8" of snow yesterday. :mad:

9. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    I was thinking the same thing. May be a bad year.

10. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Suspect this last ten days weather has taken a serious fatal toll on any recently hatched grouse chicks in southern Appalachia. Mother might be able to keep one or two dry and warm and thus alive at most.

11. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I seriously doubt any chicks have hatched yet, everything is so late in the mtns this year. Most of the trees are still not leafed out and we aren't seeing any nests from any birds except a few turkeys at this point.

remember these birds thrive in Canada, if they can survive those weather events a little rain is nothing

12. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Guys, I seen a young turkey yesterday, it was larger that a grouse.