Ruff Tales of Appalachia 12-13

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 1, 2012.

1. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
    I got in the woods today around 3:00 pm. I hunted several hollows and near dark I heard Gator's beeper sounding off somewhere below me. It took quite a while for me to get down the slippery wet hill but I finally saw him pointing in a tree top on a bank near a creek. I apporached him from the side and stopped. I waited for the bird to flush. Gators tail was flaggings as if he was not sure where the bird was. After standing there for a while I finally moved in front of him. The bird exploded from a cedar tree twenty yards behind us. I turned and missed as the bird crossed from right to left as it flew up the hollow. At the second shot I saw the bird drop. Gator circled but could not locate it. I saw it in plain sight on the ground before me. I kept saying "dead bird", trying to let him find it. After searching for a few minutes he turned toward the bird a pointed it from fifteen yards away. I could feel a little breeze blowing from the bird to him. I tried to get him to move in and pick it up but he would not move. I went to the bird which was still alive and tossed it near him. After smelling it for a while he looked up at me and made a nice retreive. We moved up the hollow and he pointed again in another tree top. I let him point for a while and moved in to flush. Two birds flushed low with no chance for a shot. I didn't follow. A good way to end a season knowing there are birds there.

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I got out this afternoon as well. A little rain, some sleet, snow, wonderful. The first holler has held a single bird all season that never gets pinned. He didn't seem to be at home today. The second holler was different. 100 yards out of the truck, both dogs went on point down in the creek. I released them and the pup went up about 10 yards and pointed again. I took two steps toward her and a bird tore out, just out of range. It flew up a drain which we covered, but never got it up again.

We went to the head of the holler where another bird hangs out. Like always, this one flushed 50 yards in front of the dogs. I only heard it, but knew the season was over at the sound. We covered the rest of the holler, which has really great cover, but the last hour of the last day was closing, and it was getting dark and it was time to go to the truck and take the collars off for the last time. It was kinda sad...I hate to go out with a whimper like that, but it hasn't been a terrible season.

I added up my totals.

Points on grouse: 18
    Shots fired: 12
    Birds killed: 5

I've had worse seasons, but I've had far better ones. My shooting was better this year. Of the 12 shots fired, 3 of them were fired at dying birds to knock them down before they got away. And the reason I only fired 12 shots is because I've quit throwing prayers after departing birds. If it's a poor percentage shot, I take a pass and leave that bird unhurt to play with another day. I'm trying to make a dog out of this pup and I need all the healthy birds I can keep, and wounding them to die later does no one any favors.

My only goal this year was to kill a bird over the pup. I failed in that. She pointed three, but I never got a shot at them. I think she's on the verge of making a dog, but I'll have to wait 7.5 months now to find out in Wisconsin.

Edit: I should add that I could have had good opportunities on several birds, probably 5 or more, that were wild flushes or flushed by the dogs. I passed on all of those. I try not to think about that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. agr_hunter

agr_hunter 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Over the Hill
    Congrats on the year. My dog is gonna be having pups here in a few weeks so I will be in the same boat come this fall, trying to kill some birds over my a pup this fall in Wisconsin. Gonna be a long summer!

4. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    I don't normally do this but here are a few pics from the last few days I have been out. I have zero complaints from the past season, other than it is sad to see it end. However, my body and my pups body can use the break from it all. Overall this is the best year I've had in 7 years in all aspects whether it was killing, points, flushes, and new spots added.

The pics of my beast pointing were points where birds were there, and normally I would never stop to take a picture of a dog pointing in a likely spot. However, the past few years after we kill a bird or maybe 2 out of a cover we leave and a lot of times I take a few pics on the way to the truck of something I normally wouldn't get to capture.

Grouse 127.jpg Grouse 121.jpg Grouse 117.jpg Grouse 108.jpg Grouse 103.jpg

5. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Grouse 087.jpg Grouse 106.jpg A couple more...

6. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Nice dog pics there. Looks like you've had a good season.

7. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
    hitch, good looking dogs. What is the breeding?

8. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    My spotted beast is out of Grouse Ridge and long gone lines. The other dog in those pics is a tekoa dog

9. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
    hitch, I lost Tekoa dog last March to kidney disease. Pretty good grouse dog.

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Has anyone seen or heard any grouse this month?

11. grouseguy

grouseguy 12 pointer

Strangely enough, I seen one killed on US60 in Carter Co. on Friday.

12. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    That must have been the one I seen a few years ago with his goods on his back headed north.

13. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
    My britt painted a grouse about a week ago. I'm going turkey hunting in that area and hope to hear some drumming.

14. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    I talked with a guy yesterday that's see 8 part in the last two weeks. Hopefully they're in a romancing mode.

15. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
    Yesterday while on a youth turkey hunt we heard a grouse drumming around dawn. Late in the afternoon in another area we flushed a pair in a hollow that I haven't seen grouse in for ten years. The farm is being cut for timber and there is a lot of new growth there now.