Ruff Tales of Appalachia 11-12

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 3, 2011.

1. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I have to say that grouse hunters are a different breed. If a person had to work as hard for deer or turkeys as you do for a grouse, very few would ever be killed. We walked our butts off (I still say they measure miles differently over there than regular folk do) and got to see a good point, hear birds take wing and see a split second flash of red as the bird disappeared into the thicket. I went ahead and threw up the obligatory hail Mary shot, but I might just as well have thrown a rock for all the damage I did. I still marvel at the the vast differences in the landscape from one end of our state to the other. I admit I am happy I was born on the flat end, although I would be in much better shape if I had been born in the mountains. The woods are starting to wake up, wildflowers are blooming and the frogs were singing right before the rain started. Great way to end the 2011-2012 hunting season. Now to unpack the bag I keep ready to go starting every August and begin to get ready for turkey season.

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    The old man said you and Trust Me sat down in the middle of the road and cried together.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  3. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Sounds like you enjoyed your hunt, in a round about way. It took me five years before I bagged one of those rascals. Hang in there, maybe next year.:cool:

4. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    They were manly tears, to be sure.

5. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    The old man is as hard to keep up with as you are. What the heck do they feed you people to make you climb like that?

6. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Pentail really glad you got up this way and had a good hunt. Ole ruff is a tough customer for sure he will most times make you look like a fool. Keep at it the first time you pull the trigger and see one fall you'll get weak knees. As far as in shape , a gentleman I was guiding once told me you hill peoples all legs.....

7. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler

Speaking of guiding, Trust Me, our fellow member here is charging big money.

8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    He must be a real salesman if he can get someone to pay for a ky grouse hunt. Of course there's always someone glutton for punishment.

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    And getting big results.

MarkPaytonandThreeBirds2-25-12.jpg

This Hoosier came down and collected 3 of our mountain birds. The guide service and dog work were truly outstanding. It helped that he could shoot straight.

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    A little gun powder over the taters.;)

11. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I dont have anything smart to say to that. You got me.

Oh wait, yea I do! He could have been nice and lied to everyone and told them you killed 1 of them birds:)

12. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Nope. When a man pays that kind of money, I'll give him all the credit, and put him on birds if i have to lay the eggs and hatchem myself...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012