Ruff Tales of Appalachia 11-12

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Convinced my dad it was just to pretty of a day to work, so we went to a spot where he had flew grouse some 30 yrs ago. Herd one drumming 20 minutes out of the truck but he wasn't reachable with him on top of the cliff. Had one wild flush 20ft on the creek bank. My dog pointed on another and i was on all fours trying to get up the creek bank to get to him the bird flushed. Fun day but no meat on the table.(also got to pack my new franchi which was great):D

2. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Tried a section I hadn't hunted in a few years, took about two hours. I took Doc (a male dog that I let get way behind in his training) and Holly, both hunted good but we didn't locate. If it's not raining cats tomorrow I plan on trying it for a couple hours late. Anyone looking for a hunting partner for tomorrow? I have one more holler I haven't been in this year could hold big birds.:D

3. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    I got out today from 9:30-2:00. Took my male John got points on woodcock and one big bird as we were coming out. He passed it and wheeled and locked up. I got about to him and I heard the bird coming out and I managed to speak to him with my little 28 ga. Took a little break at about 12:00 hunted Lea from 12:30-2:00 she pointed five woodcock, but we moved no big birds on her hunt. So moved one grouse eight woodcock. A good half day with great dog work. I had planned to hunt all day but by 2:00 it was just too hot for me. Photo is of Lea on one of her woodcock finds.
    I hope to go tomorrow if it does pour the rain lea 041.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I hunted from 7-noon today and pointed 4 and woodcock had good dog work just couldn't locate the birds. I've moved several grouse in this area but haven't been in it since december. I was hoping to find them grouped up somewhere but just didn't have luck on my side today. God willing ill try another spot tomorrow with better luck.

5. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Went today with a guy and his 11 yr old female setter. His little dog was a sweethear. She still loves to hunt, just a little slower. My Daisy dog is in her last 3 days of heat. I took her for the last hunt of the season. The first point was from Daisy. Sent my buddy in for the flush. 2 birds came up and he shot empty without connecting. The last point of the day, Daisy pointed in a perfect place for a shot. Circled below her and the bird went by my buddy. He shot twice and said he couldn't believe he missed. The bird looked like a slow moving blimp. Had a good laugh from that one. Had to leave the woods around 11, just to hot. Great hunt, had 2 productive points on 3 birds.

6. no.5 Buckshot

no.5 Buckshot Spike

Jan 1, 2009
    Cumberland Ky
    you guys sure make it hard on a working man. But I had 2 good days sat. and sun. My 5 1/2 yr old pointed a grouse on sat. and got snowed out but on sun. My 3 yr old pointed 4 grouse and 2 woodcock and my 5 1/2 yr. old pointed a grouse. My 5 1/2 yr old female just backed. So I feel I had a good season with a good ending although I missed ever shot but I just love the dog work. All you that can hunt tomorrow kill one for me.

7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    You can't complain about a weekend like that for sure...

8. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Here's a picture of what's going on where we hunt up north.

[​IMG]

9. no.5 Buckshot

no.5 Buckshot Spike

Jan 1, 2009
    Cumberland Ky
    No and makes me look forward to next year.

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Grousec, good looking dog and nice cover. I'm going to hit the hills, good luck to guy that have the opportunity to hunt today.

11. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Thanks Birdman. It was fun day in the woods for me and the two dogs. My season is done, got up this morning it was pouring the rain, eveytime I thought it let up enough, it started back, we have had high winds, hail and a tornado watch. Hope everyone is safe.

12. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    It didn't take me long to look at the hills today. I got out of the truck, turned the dogs loose, got about 200 yds. and the sky opened up. We're getting what you had this morning, it's pouring the rain and big thunder is cracking.

13. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I wanted to get out today but it was one storm after another all day. I ended the season with 11 grouse 3 quail and unknown number of woodcock . Hoping for better things next season the woodcock staying all year did make it more interesting if nothing else.

14. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I'm done.

Pentail came down for a last day hunt. We got out before the storms and managed to get a point on a group of 3 grouse. Pentail and our partner both managed to throw a shot at one of the departing birds. I just heard the flushes.

My dog's Ky season totals:
    Birds pointed 29
    Birds killed 9
    Retrieves 9

15. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    After seeing your boys totals I got to thinking about the number I ran across this year.

12 grouse pointed
    1 killed
    1 retrieved (by my partners dog)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012