Ruff Tales of Appalachia 11-12

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks for sharing. I always close a season out with a bourbon and coke. A nod will go your way.

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I hosted a gent from Indiana yesterday for a bird hunt. I wasn't optimistic as the wind was roaring on the ridgetops. He's got good dogs but had never had an opportunity at grouse. We changed that for him yesterday.

His dog pointed the first bird of the day, and did an excellent job. My dog was backing on the opposite hillside about 30 yards away. The guest walked in and kicked the bird out at close range and made the killing shot as it crossed the drain, dropping the bird in front of my dog. She made the retrieve on it, and we paused for pictures. You only get one first grouse and your dog only gets one first grouse point, afterall.

We worked around the contours and my dog had a couple of unproductive points. I was making excuses for her, and then she did it again. We walked in, nothing happened, and then she relocated about 10 yards away. This time she had it figured out, and my guest knocked the bird down with his second shot. I didnt' see it fall but we moved in its direction and he said, "That bird went down 25 paces in front of you," and I looked out at that distance and saw a bird fluttering and running along the ground. My dog hunted dead and picked up the scent and tracked it several yards like a coonhound, and made the retrieve on the still living bird. #2 for the Hoosier. The look on my dog's face said that it's nice to hunt with folks that can shoot for a change.

We relocated to another holler and by now we were tired and the dogs were getting that way too. The wind was fierce and my dog started a stop-start routine that told me she was getting bird scent but that the wind was moving it around and she couldn't get a fix on it. She worked into the wind like that for about 300 yards, never locked a bird down but pointed a dozen or more times. All we could do was follow along and hope she would work it out.

She did. She pointed and the guest dog backed, and as we walked in two birds flushed out of gun range and flew around the point. We tracked them down and heard one flush wild out of some trees, but then Bawdy pointed in a treetop and her body language said the bird was definitely there. I waded in the brush down the hillside and brought it out for a clean shot in the open for my guest and my dog made her third retrieve of the day. 3 birds in a day is not the usual, but it happened yesterday for the man. I was as tickled as he was and I never cut a feather. Good dog work and good shooting all the way around.

3. vabirddog

vabirddog 6 pointer

Mar 24, 2007
    Please remove your post immediatly as the reputations of all dedicated appalachian grouse hunters who fawn about the immense difficulty of pursuing the most elusive game bird are in serious jeopardy.

4. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Went out today for a few hours pointed five woodcock, one slick point,and two grouse pointed one came up out of range and was never found again the other met his maker. Just after we broke the dogs off the slick point we heard one on the ridge above us drumming. Soon after the dogs had him pointed but he wasn't having any of it and blew out before we could get him within gun range. Both birds were long in the tooth and stuffed full of bittersweet greens and sumac berrys.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Any grouse hunter's reputation is already in tatters, so a story like that isn't likely to hurt it further.

I scratched another one down today. Had excellent dog work from Bawd. She pointed one in the creek that didn't give an opportunity, pointed one high on the hill in a blackberry brake, a small hen that I killed and she retrieved, pointed another that flushed and flew over a guy's head with no shot offered, and then pointed another that flushed and flew away from the guns.

Bawdy's season totals so far:

Points on Birds: 26
    Birds Killed Over Point: 9
    Birds Retrieved: 9

Her retrieves still aren't pretty but they're getting better. She tries to carry them by the feathers so she just ends up with a mouthful of feathers. She keeps trying and always brings them to me, however.

Grouse2-26-12.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Congratulations on what sounds like several great hunts. We had a good night after a hunt yesterday. Jon you missed a good one hopefully you'll be able to make it next year. Good hunting the remainder of this season to the ones that have the opportunity to hit the hills.

7. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Flew 4 birds today. Had a split point on the first one. Bird 2 and 3 were together. Came up wild. Dogs were 50 yards below them. Bird number 4 was pointed. My hunting partner missed 2 times. Actually ran into another grouse hunter in the woods. Have not done that in years. He had moved one bird. We turned around and let him hunt the rest of the hollow out. Heard him shoot 1 time. Hope he had success. Did not pack any grouse out today, but had a great hunt. Hope to get out before the season closes but with the weather predictions, it doesn't look good.

8. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    [​IMG]
    Went out today for about 3 hours, this is my young female.

[​IMG]
    The old dog backing Holly.

We flew four big birds and three woodies. Had points on all. No meat on the table.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Holly is looking good there big dog. Reminds me of buck in that pic.

10. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    That's Buck in the second picture, he was backing Holly.

11. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Ahh I see it now I didn't remember holly being that dark lol. The pup I've got here is about the color of buck. I can't get over that just didn't remember her being that dark colored . I was actually about to ask who the other dog was lol. Guess that's why I thought she looked like buck cause it was buck tell him I apologize.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  12. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Hunted from 10:30 till 1:00 today moving two different grouse. My pointer John did a great job. IN some ways it seems like the season has been in forever (partly because of moving no birds early). But now that i am finding a few, it's sort of ending too soon. Good to get the dogs in a few birds!! Hope to hunt all day tomorrow (if get a break in the weather). I am having to drive a ways (my closest places just don't have the birds). I have three dogs that are making great grouse dogs in spite of so few birds in KY, so I am thankful. Hope your guys season has ended with some good memories as well.

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    You're cutting us short by a couple days, there. I'm heading out Wednesday for sure.

14. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Didn't mean too! I should have said will end. I am with you Trust Me, if weather permits I will be hunting all day tomorrow and most day Wed.
    Hope you have a great finish!

15. trapshooter

trapshooter 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2012
    Hungry Hill Ashland,Ky
    Hunted the ol girl about 2 hours this morning in Greenup Co. One point high on the hill, she broke befor i got to her. No bird seen or heard. Nice day to be in woods, She worked good.Grouse here are hard to come bye. Let her rest tuesday may try wensday. Nice lookin pups birdman.