Ruff Tales of Appalachia 11-12

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 3, 2011.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Took a day off and went out about 10:30. Got a staunch point on a woodcock out of my dog; it flew surprisingly high, fast, and far. Must've found some nightcrawlers under the snow to keep his strength up.

My dog started working something, stop-go, stop go. She pointed across the holler but with the snow we couldn't see her. I was heading her way when my partner mumbled, "Naw, that's just a rock she rolled down the hill." I didnt' know what he meant, but then I suddenly saw a bird flutter down about 25 yards in front of me. He'd seen the bird coming this way but thought it was a rolling rock on the hillside. My dog was running down the opposite hill toward us; i suppose she had it pointed, it flushed, and she had marked where it landed. I cautioned my partner to wait and let my dog get clear, and when she did, he bagged the bird on the ground and made his season total 3. My dog went straight to it and made a perfect retrieve straight to me, didn't drop it or wool it like she usually does.

I guess that counts as a pointed bird. She'd been on it a while and she doesn't usually run up birds, so I think it counts. It was the only grouse we saw all day.

I also took my brainless 7 mo. pup with us today. She is about 75% whoa broke, not quite good enough to go hunting. She did okay though; she held up for 5 hours, much better than I expected. She got in the cover and worked quite a bit, but did more trail-hunting than anything. I firmly believe you have to get them out there and teach them early. You can't make a birddog by leaving it in the kennel until it's full grown.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Perfect evening for grouse hunting. Took an older gentlemen today along with his dog. I am down to just my young dog. My old dog is in heat. The old mans dog would not leave the road. My dog was hunting the little draws perfect. Every time she would go in a draw, the old man would walk ahead with his dog. He later said that he was just trying to put his dog on a bird. If he would have just waited, my dog would have probably pointed the only bird he saw today. He had walked 50 or so yards ahead while I waited for my dog to hunt the draw out. He and his dog walked right by a bird, about 20 yards up the hill. After a 2 hour hunt his dog was finished and so was he. I took them back to his vehicle and hit another spot. Chess pointed about an hour into the hunt. Walked in and the grouse flushed ahead through a thicket. Then another came up and came straight at me. I was already putting it in my bag when I turned to shoot. When I turned, it was like my leg was jerked out from under me on the melting ground. Down I went. Both grouse escaped unharmed. I think, I may have got a reflush out of the first bird. Chess hit scent. Point and creep. She did this for about 40 yards, and then it played out. Great day! Got to walk to a pointed dog, with a grouse flush.

3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    Went out this evening after work for a short hunt. Had three points all woodcock in about an hour or so. But it was good to give the dogs a snoot full.

4. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I plan on taking a walk in the woods and crossing a few brooks.

5. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Buddy and I went today moved two grouse. Hunted my male "Ruff Elhew John" and he pointed one, but I didn't do my part. (I am out of practice). The other one seemed to come out of a tree. I have quit shooting at anything that my dogs don't have pointed and hold for me to flush (birds are too few for that). IMO
    Hope to go tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Went for few hours by myself today. There was a fine mist of rain to the point i was late going. I did get a point on a grouse by one of my females CrossWay Ms-N-Ace (Leah). But as I got to her, I was not in shooting position when the bird flushed. I heard another bird drumming off in the distance and would you know it (frogs were hollering). So it was a good day to be out if it was a short trip close by. Hunted two females and they handled perfect, covered a lot of ground.
    Anyone else go?

7. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
    Didn't get out today, planned on goint this afternoon but ended up going with a club member to look for a dog taining area. I plan on hunting tomorrow unless something comes up.

8. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    Hunted yesterday for 4 hours. Moved 1 rabbit, lost count of turkeys and 0 grouse. I still say that this year is worse than last year.

9. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    BirdBuster, I agree with you. I had not moved any grouse until the last few weeks. Really bad hunting in the areas I have been. I am not shooting at any grouse that are not pointed and held by my dog. Just not enough birds..

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I commend you for not shooting at those unpointed. Its a very hard habit to break. Ive pulled the gun up 2-3 times this year on unpointed birds, but I caught myself. Up north is a different story though.

11. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Yeah, up north I feel like man I need to get me some birds. But If am hunting young dogs I still only shoot pointed birds even up there (sort of training mode). However with older dogs I will usually try and put the bird on the ground.

12. Birdman

Birdman Cyber-Hunter

Feb 26, 2002
    Paintsville, KY, USA.
  13. BirdBuster

BirdBuster 6 pointer

Apr 4, 2010
    I started a couple years ago. I only shoot at the pointed birds. I agree, up north is a different story. Have you been out lately?

14. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    It was neat to hear a grouse drumming yesterday, and that over top of the frogs (yeah the frogs were out and vocal yesterday). I have been out quite a bit the last few weeks. I missed a good 3-4 weeks (very sick with something, then hurt my foot and couldn't wear a shoe for about 3 weeks) so now I am trying to make up the lost time. If fact leaving in just a few mins to hunt today. Yeah I started shooting only pointed birds with the young dogs I have now, when they were puppies about 3 years ago and have just kept it up, since the grouse are down.

15. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Went out today with Trust Me an our old partner. We seen 4-5 birds with 5 flushes. The first bird was pointed by our old partners male dog with the other 2 dogs backing. I flushed the bird out to him and he knocked it down on the second shot. I was glad to see that one fall for him. Id rather see him kill one than me.

On up the holler his male dog points again. As Trust Me was yelling at me, the bird jolted out, but I never seen it. We continued on around the holler an our partner walked up 1 bird. There was 2 birds in the group and Trust Me's dog pointed the 2nd one, but the old dude missed it.

On around the holler we had a point from the old dude's male. Bawdy was backing and Sadie fell in to back. 3 hunters stomped around and never could get a flush. All 3 dogs took turns pointing. Still no flush. We stomped around and stomped around and finally Trust Me's dog pointed again. This time the bird jolted away down the holler. We stomped within 3 feet of that bird an it never flushed. Talk about holding tight....