Ruff Tales of Appalachia 10-11

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by JonDunn, Nov 4, 2010.

1. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Jesse don't miss!

2. KY Fowl Hunter

KY Fowl Hunter Fawn

Dec 28, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Nice bird, by chance are you finding birds along the creeks/rhodendron now?

3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Some are along the creeks, but not necessarily rhododendron. Saturday I saw 2 and Sunday saw 2 more that were still high on the benches.

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Good deal! Pretty bird. Explain this "low, along the creeks" to me

5. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    That almost looks like a gentleman I know, but he has a much more wore out vest than that.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Our local perception is that early in the season in Nov and Dec, birds are usually found higher on hills along the top benches, in such places as where you saw the dogs point 2 weeks ago. Jan and Feb seems to see the birds move down the hills and they are more likely found in the easy reaches along the creeks and bottoms. I don't know if it is food availability or hens searching for nesting cover or something else that drives it, but that is the general trend that we see and it runs pretty true for this area. Of course, they aren't going to go where poor cover exists, but all things being equal, this is what we expect.

7. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke

(Note to self, schedule next years trip for late Febuary...) Hope you guys wear em out these last few days

8. grousec

grousec 6 pointer

Jan 15, 2009
    mt sterling ky
    Hunted all day Tuesday, 1 grouse pointed by my young female (no kill, kinda glad feel bad killing one with birds at a all time low). Only bird seen or heard.
    Hunted 4 1/2 hrs Wed no birds pointed, seen or heard. I'm starting to look forward to fishing (KY has some fish) LOL!!

9. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I went out yesterday with a guest from Indiana. It was too warm, but we had fun. He brought a quail setter with him and the dense brush made a 200 yard quail dog into a 40 yard cover dog for a while. He got comfortable with it after a couple hours and starting ranging better. My dog was too comfortable and hunted out of earshot the whole day.

We got a great double point on a woodcock passing through, then changed locations and got a gift from the Good Lord Above; a spectacular double point from the dogs, just below the logging trail. My guest's dog was locked down tight, and my dog was pointed while looking over her shoulder in our direction. Guests get first shot, so he walked in and had a bird flush just about 10 feet in front of him. It twisted through the poplar trees and didn't give a great shot, but he fired twice. The bird disappeared over the ridge. It was about 5:30, too late to follow up, but having his dog point a grouse and getting to see his first thunderchicken flush was a great way to end the day.

I've hosted two wonderful guests this year, and while the birds are few and the dogwork spotty, they both saw pointed birds and had close flushes at which to shoot. Always a pleasure for those gents to come down.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  10. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    I hunted a short hollow today that has two birds in it. Didn't find the birds, and hunting for 3 hours in a drizzle. To make it worse, I got an annoying call from JonDunn, who is an incorrigible liar and a drunk and probably a thief. He told me he had killed 3 grouse over points and was one away from his limit. Of course I can be forgiven for immediately concluding he'd killed not grouse but woodcock, and probably more than his legal limit, not to mention that they are out of season. He's that kind of person.

But it wasn't a lie. He came by and showed me the birds. Such a vulgar display of excess I've never seen before. And he didn't even invite me to go with him.

11. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    He had 3 birds? I do hope you checked them for freezer burn.

12. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Dunn has probably known about those birds all season, just waiting for such a day as this where he can slip off by himself to this grouse mecca and pull off such a stunt.

Good job and congrats Jon, a day like this makes up a little for all those empty bags from this season

13. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I had a very good and lucky day. I was greeted with a flush as soon as the tailgate was dropped this morning. I seen where the bird made its get away and headed that direction. My old dog locked up not long after, but this bird wasnt acting like it should. It jolted out 50 yards in front of me. I followed it up only to have it leave out infront of the dogs. I thought my old dog might have brought it out, but a quick point after the flush proved otherwise. I got down off the hillside and headed up the holler. I was greeted with a point on the face of a dried up pond. No cover around the point, just the place where she was pointed. I knew this bird was dead, and my speculation was right. It had nowhere to go but down. A quick retrieve an I headed on up the holler. 5 minutes later, I had a beeper going off. I rushed in to see my old dog keep pointing and breaking. All this time, my pup cut infront of her and went on the face of the hill and locked the brakes. I thought to myself, "no way this dumb dog is pointed"! I walked in to her and seen her literally shaking. The bird tore out over my head an I connected on the 2nd shot. Feathers flew, the bird darted straight up in the hair and down the holler. Head shot! I looked for the bird 30 minutes, but couldnt find a trace of it. I chalked it up as lost. I was sick. My 11 month old pup pointed a bird, an I let it get away. Those are the ones you want to kill! We made our way back down the holler an I hear my pups beeper going off. I start off at a run to her. She breaks and sticks her head in some weeds. I holler at her, thinking shes just foolin after stink birds or something. She quit it and resumed on her way. My old dog comes off the hill, sticks her head in the same spot. I just kept walking, paying no attention. I turn around, there is Sadie with a bird in mouth walking toward me. A drop to the knee an a quick, Thank You Lord. I had my 2nd bird!

My buddies were hunting a holler about a mile below me. I just had to go put 2 wings on their truck, but they were already back at the truck when I rolled up. A quick CPR to the 3 of them, an I was off again.

I drove up the road a lil ways for the 2nd holler. 5 minutes out of the truck, an I was walking in on a point. I had trouble with this bird flushing. I literally could have taken 2 more steps and stepped on it. Held like glue, and thats when they start dying. The 2nd shot sent it to the ground and running. I seen it running over to the creek. I knew where it was, but the dogs couldnt find it. I gave them a chance, but decided to pick it up myself. That was bird number 3 for the day!

4 birds. 6 flushes. 4 points. 3 killed over points. I didnt kill my limit, but you couldnt tell from the smile on my face! These are the days we dream of having. I tried to find that 4th bird all day. He is still out there, somewhere. My old dog came in heat this past week. She has a date with a fuller brother liter mate to Long Gone Nixon this coming week. I believe her season might be through as my pup needs her time to shine.

[​IMG]

14. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Tailgate full of birds sure makes a pretty pic

15. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Ahh, I can sense a bit of jealousy from someone! Next time the phone rings, hit the green button instead of the red.