Rookie to Yotes

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
I just bought a Ruger 22-250 and I'm wanting to get into coyote hunting. I've read a lot about it on here and decided to buy this gun. Just wondering what advice you guys would have for a guy just getting started.

weedwalker

10 pointer
Nov 27, 2006
London,Ky
For somebody just starting, I would recomend this video.....
http://www.easterncoyotes.com/index...ion=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

It's not just another out west bang flop video, but a video about hunting coyotes here in the east. Very educational. Made by a freind of mine who knows what he's doing.
There are several coyote hunting sites to read from. When you think you have an idea what to do, get out and try it. You'll learn more as you go with your experience in the field.
As far as the .22-250, I don't have any experience with one. Not yet anyway.:rolleyes:

XFORCE

8 pointer
Oct 14, 2009
Hello Buddy!!!

Well first thing I would say is your gonna get hooked and i mean HOOKED!! It is awesome and better than any other hunting I do. Best thing i suggest is read predator magazines watch video's and take in all you can from fellow hunters. Some things may not make sense to you now but, it will later. Know your gun frontwards and backwards. Don't just settle for sighting it in and that's it...go and see you dropping point and rising points. Never under estimate a coyotes nose and hearing. Stealth is the key in my book. We all have different methods but put them all to use and you'll gain tons of knowledge. 55gr hornady bullets are pretty good. I shoot several different brands.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
Seems like every one talks about the Hornady bullets. Thats prolly what I'll go with. I'm pumped just thinking about it. thanks for the info. I love this site. :D

O'l Joe

6 pointer
Feb 2, 2009
stay out
i have been coyote hunting for 3 years now and i still consider myself a rookie on the subject. just when you think you have them figured out they never fell to prove you wrong!! i have watched many videos and read articles and asked fellow hunters for advise and every bit of info i got was very helpful but the best pointers i have picked up have came through my own mistakes. give it a try and you'll be hooked!!

Jimmie in Ky

12 pointer
Nov 28, 2003
Mayfield, Kentucky, USA.
Get a couple of mouth calls and do a lot of scouting to learn theier habits in your area. We can tell you a great deal but getting out there on your own is hte best teacher. When you set up use open areas at your back to try and keep them from using the down wind on you.

Make several scouting trips to the same area. By doing this you will get a better idea of where they prefer to travel and how to read the sign. Jimmie

Latest posts