Rockefeller

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by drakeshooter, May 24, 2020.

1. I bought a couple dozen oysters last night and got them all cleaned up a shucked earlier. I was gonna eat them raw but went with my take on Rockefeller. Not bad, rich but needs bacon.
    [​IMG]

bondhu, Bee, beauhunter41031 and 6 others like this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I really like them sob's raw. A cracker a dash of hot sauce an a cold beer

bondhu, Bee, claynut69 and 4 others like this.
  3. Yeah I ate two of them raw with so much fresh horseradish I lost breath a few seconds while I was shucking them, could have ate them all but man those Rockefellers were good.

bondhu, barney and Feedman like this.
  4. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Love them. Looking good.

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Looks good DS. I can eat them but one of my sisters is an oyster on the half shell fool. She likes raw, pepper, Tabasco and saltines. As far as Rockefeller, I’ve had some good ones and some that sucked on buffets. Growing up, I remember my dad would eat canned oysters. He’d drain, mix with milk, heat to boil, melt a little butter and wear it out. I would eat a bowl from time to time. Not bad.

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. Tankt

Tankt 6 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I love oysters on the halfshell with lemon juice, shot of La hot sauce and a saltine.

That being said, those Rockefellers look awesome! What's in them?

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. I roughly chopped up about a cup of kale, a half cup of green onions, a half cup of parsley all from my garden along with 2 cloves of garlic, juice from half a lemon, a half stick or more of softened butter and a sprinkle of fennel in the food processor for the filling. I whisked up 3/4 cup of Ritz crumbs with Italian seasoning, a 1/4 cup or more of fresh grated Parmesan and a tablespoon of oil for the topping. Scoop of the green stuff on each half shell followed by a hearty sprinkle of the crumb/cheese mixture and bake at 450 for 8 minutes or until golden brown. It’s soft and buttery and melts in your mouth yum.

bondhu, barney, Bee and 2 others like this.
  8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    When I lived in Nags Head I would eat a peck of them suckers every few days. Raw and steamed with fresh ground horseradish and melted butter in hot homemade cocktail sauce. We bought them fresh in burlap sacks in Manteo. I've never been able to get any worth a damn since I've moved back.

bondhu, drakeshooter and Feedman like this.
  9. The joint I’m using now for seafood, Lake City Fish Market in Grand Rivers, sells them for $1.50 each but if you buy a couple sacks he will make you a deal. I bought mine for a buck a piece and they were killer. Cheap enough for good oysters in western Kentucky. After I made it through first 2-3 I was shucking pretty fast I thought. Took me less than 30 minutes to shuck 2 dozen lol, they’d fire me at a restaurant.

bondhu and barney like this.
  10. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I must confess I have never had fresh caught fresh shucked oysters. I’ve heard that some people absolutely love them the first time and some people don’t. I frequently eat oysters out of that little tin but can’t wait to get my experience some raw ones. I’ve just always been leery of ordering oysters 600 miles inland. I don’t want my first experience to be shucked oysters from Hooters.

That being said is there any place around Kentucky let’s say the Lexington area that I would get a good experience

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    drakeshooter likes this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Not sure about all the “fresh shucked” and I’ve not had the oysters there but my favorite seafood joint in Lexington is a little place called The Ketch. It’s on Regency Rd off Southland right next to Evans Firearms. Family owned. There are others but I’m partial to that one. Good folks! Good food!

drakeshooter and bondhu like this.
  12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    My inlaws live 25 miles inland between Jacksonville and Wilmington. Every time we're there, big family get together. Fresh oysters, fresh shrimp and fresh flounder. I've ridden with my BIL to the boats, back his F150 up and load off the boats. Nothing like it for freshness.

drakeshooter, bondhu and barney like this.
  13. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    It will ruin you for sure.

drakeshooter and Brody like this.
  14. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Trying to swallow one of them slimy suckers was an instant almost one motion dash for the trash bin lol. I just can't hack the texture and couldn't taste anything but the drop of wasabi I was told to put on it. Never again, but I'll eat all the crab,shrimp, mudbugs I can hold.

How's the selection at the place @drakeshooter ? Shipping?

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. bondhu likes this.